News: ~June 5th 2020~ - (Old News)
There is a bit more activity going on right now, so stick around if you want to be a part of it! Also, Windra is now a mod, because she is helping making this happen. And by helping I mean doing most of it.

RP News: ~November 19th 2015~ (Old RP News)
There is no current plot. The forests welcome new travelers within these lands.
Event Status: Not Active (each accepted character allowed to RP in multiple RP threads)

RP Season: Summer
This means everything is green, flowers are everywhere, and the shining sun creates a need for shady shelter on the warmest days.

Kiara Willabur, Explorer and Wildest Wildlife Cataloguer

Join Here
However your character arrived here, they are welcome, for now. The massive forest, the high mountain range, the salty sea and the mysterious mist beckon them to come explore and find their way to their home.

Post your character profile in here, but please read the rules first.

Don't be afraid to ask for help, suggestions or any questions in Away from the Woods.

Moderators: Windra, forgerofsouls

Talks2Self
Explorer

Kiara Willabur, Explorer and Wildest Wildlife Cataloguer

Post by Talks2Self »

Name:
Kiara Willabur

Species:
Hobgoblin

Appearance:
Kiara is tall and muscular with a yellow colour to her skin. Her otherwise modest anatomy is covered by a dirty white shirt that had seen better days, and thick hide pants. Her remaining apparel all tanned leather: shin high boots, a jacket, and a wide brimmed fedora hat (closer in appearance to a small sombrero than a fedora).
She always carries a heavily loaded backpack with the tools of her trade. Whip, rope, hand-pickaxe, trowel, lockpick set, knives of various sizes and versatility, foldable spade, foldable fishing rod, sleeping bag, poncho, hammer, stakes, a hooded tungsten lantern that requires no (conventional) fuel, and finally four books, one of which (mostly) blank, and a refillable ink pen.

Personality:
Kiara has shed her traditional customs and conquistador upbringing in favour of satisfying her deep curiosity and cultivating the wonders of the world around her.
She is a bit naive when faced with the unknown, throwing caution to the wind and hangs her self-doubt when she takes her first step forward towards knowledge.
Emboldened by her ancestry, empowered by knowledge, and with a friendly attitude paired with manners rivaling the more civilised ancient dragons, she knows she won't lose.

Traits:

Autodiadact:
Entirely self taught. This is really the only way she learns, though. Her books of information hold little staying power in her mind until she actually experiences something.

Keen Smell:
She can practically smell trouble, among all other things very well. It is unfortunate that this has only fed her wanderlust and curiosity, but she is lucky enough to have the sense to use.

Genetic Generality:
She knows she's not welcome among traditional "fantasy" types of civilizations because of her heritage. Outwardly, she tries to be kind, upbeat, and inclusive and will throw caution to the wind if it means she can change one person's preconceived notions. On the inside, she is timid and often very cowardly. She is in a state of constant struggle against her nature, but uses her experiences with others that take the time to not attack her outright and her outward persona to try and shine through her inner doubts.

Family:
She has so many brothers and sisters, half and full blooded, that it would be impossible to name them all without a Pi sequence of repetition. Her mother and father weren't exclusive with each other by any stretch of the imagination and continued to mate with themselves and others for years until her mother's fertility waned and her father started to become impotent.
The motto on the family crest was;
"The true wealth of a family is measured by their children."

...Them two were indeed filthy friggin' rich in both children and truffle hunting pig livestock.

Known History:
Kiara played a minor role in the tending of the family pig legacy in that she was a herder. But she will always be thankful to the pig that got away one fateful day for helping her discover herself and her place in the world. She had tracked the wandering pig all the way into a cave where she began to notice smells outside of manure and it STANK SO DANG BAD!

She would discover that she could indeed smell things on her own that were worth more than truffles, and what pig innards would look like as a lumbering monstrous being tore through the poor creature like it were a bag of chips.

Skipping through the good parts intentionally, fast forward a few years later and many disections of pigs taken by illnesses, she was able to diagnose and treat the sicknesses of the livestock more accurately than her brothers. She thoroughly documented and drew pictures for the future generations of her lineage.

Time skip!
Kiara was on top of the world... Until she fell down a cave tunnel leading to a lantern that seemed to never have its light expire.

Time skip!
Found out she couldn't have kids...

Let's do the time warp again!
And she drew the lantern above her head to discover...

TIME SKIP!
She took to the life of an explorer after she had a run in with...

Fast forwarding VHS tape sounds...
...And thus, she had met her end as the figure loomed over her and spoke...

TOO FAR AHEAD!
Be kind, rewind!

...And as she tumbled through the cave, reality seemed to fall apart and disintegrate only to reemerge and take form again. And now, we join her...

How did your character find these lands?:
She fell through hole by accident.

Anything Else We Need to Know?:
If Kiara had a theme song...
https://youtu.be/atY7ymXAcRQ

And she's also a doomed character. She has a beginning, middle, and end. Any events that play out can change how she ends her adventures, but I ((The author)) intend on her to have a retirement.

Her books are (TBD):
"The Handy Handguide of Herbalism"
"Fantastic Rocks and Where to Mine Them"
"Mysteries of the Monsters Manual"
Her own journal

First RP in these lands:

And now, we join her in...

The Adventures of Kiara Willabur

As she stands and brushes herself off, she removed her hat to pat it against her thigh and look around her landing zone. First left, then right, then above where no exit or entrance from where she came could be found. There was only one exit and she shrugged in a fashion that indicated that she had resigned to no other better or clearer choices were present.

As she trekked through the tight tunnel, she grunted and struggled to push forth. As the cavern passage became wider, it became smaller as well and she had to begin crouching from standing tall. Soon, crouching would not be enough as she went prone and began crawling.

She saw a light!
She crawled faster.
It was getting closer!
And she maintained her pace.
She began to feel vine-like appendages grasping at her legs. At first they set themselves up around her legs, then dug sharpened claws into her. Kiara let out a yelp as she felt the blood and began to get a little concerned. But the mild concern would turn to abject terror as a coy giggle of a spectral-sounding maiden would travel the tight air space.

Kiara didn't stop, but grunted out through barred teeth as the pain grew, "I really hate Giggledeeps!"

With every muscle left Kiara pulled herself close to the exit and into the light when she began to feel lethargic. A byproduct of the Deepfeeder Giggle Worm's venom. Kiara kicked at the tendrils of the worm as it began to subdue its victim, and Kiara called out with a desperate cry from the hole with an outstretched hand, feeling the warm sunlight.

"Please! Please! Someone help me! Hildebrand! Sven! Agatha! Anyone!?" Cried out Kiara with an echo followed by the Deepfeeder's increasingly sinister chortle.
Last edited by Talks2Self on Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
History is merely 'his story'.

Bedlam: "When playing a "Game" with me, there are Rules that are optional for you to adhere to. However, I, myself, am bound to uphold this code of cosmic entropy."

((My Codes of Play and Permissions: 07/11/2020))
((Emboldened sentences are products of dice results and attempts made under that premise that you're allowed to override my successes for better storytelling.))
((I'm cool with almost anything you do to my characters, but direct contact via the UV Discord is best if you're not sure))
((I'm okay with just a 3-4 sentence reply!))
Luxon Cobrat
Oldie
Location: Questing through nebulae in search for crystal stone

Re: Kiara Willabur, Explorer and Wildest Wildlife Cataloguer

Post by Luxon Cobrat »

Zom hadn't particularly cared about Fantasy as a genre since the first book of its kind had been published. Now that she had spent a good stretch of time stuck in an otherworldly forest filled with mythical creatures and no advanced civilization to give her anything to do, she was beginning to actively dislike it.

At one time, she would have simply stalked these lands and been the bane of anyone she found, but... that was another time. Her old hatred of the living had worn itself out long ago, and even the desire that followed it, to truly die and pass into the release of eternal oblivion, had receded in the face of innumerable failures to make that happen. All she had left was to find something, anything, to make the time go by. But prehistoric villages and herds of animals didn't have the kind of dark underbelly she could thread her influence through, and she really wasn't interested in settling into the everyday boredom of a mundane life.

But having nothing at all to do was no better. She just wished there would be some kind of disaster to break up the monotony. Maybe an invasion of some kind. An alien invasion! That would be good. Sci-fi was always more her speed. But the kind with lasers and explosions, not the nerdy stuff with robots talking about their feelings.

Honestly, just a good fight would be a welcome change of pace. She wasn't going to be a jerk and go start one, but...

Suddenly, her musings were interrupted by a desperate cry for help!

Had the gods of this world just heard her complaints and tossed her a bone? No, probably not. Still, she looked around to see where the voice was coming from.

Seemed to be... a hole in the ground she hadn't spotted before. Hidden by the brush. She dashed on in.

And sure enough, someone was down there, locked in the grip of a tentacled beast.

Zom regarded her for a brief moment. She'd been curious enough one time to glance through a Dungeons and Dragons book at a comic book store, back when the more churchy humans were all up in a panic and saying that stuff was a gateway to Hell. It had just looked like a bunch of math to her. But she remembered seeing a character that looked kind of like this one. What was it called? A hobblecobble? Corncoblin?

Anyway, Zom basically ignored her and flew straight for the monster. Fight time!

She swiped at the tentacles, aiming to grab a bundle of them in her hand. With the profound strength of the dead, she meant to drag the creature out of its hole and into the open.
Talks2Self
Explorer

Post by Talks2Self »

Kiara had been calling out for what seemed like ages. And at the last moment of hope, rescue had come, but not in the fashion she was accustomed to.

Instead of a hand reaching towards hers, she found herself watching a blur of motion barrel towards the 10 foot worm that continued to emit a chilling laughter. As Zom had grabbed at the writhing tentacles, she had freed Kiara from an imminent danger that many would be unaware of.

Kiara ran to the entrance with her bag slung across one shoulder and tried to hurry to draw anything out that could help, but became blinded by the light and was delayed in the help she could provide.

Meanwhile...

The worm, having let go of Kiara now became fixated on its assailant. Though it wasn't a strong creature, it was still able to resist being pulled, but not held. It came to a stand still as it emitted the maiden-like chuckle and slung its head to pull back against Zom to bring her closer to its maw.

Bedlam: "When playing a "Game" with me, there are Rules that are optional for you to adhere to. However, I, myself, am bound to uphold this code of cosmic entropy."

((Emboldened sentences are products of dice results and attempts made under that premise that you're allowed to override my successes for better storytelling.))
((I'm cool with almost anything you do to my characters, but direct contact via the UV Discord is best if you're not sure))
Luxon Cobrat
Oldie

Post by Luxon Cobrat »

Zom didn't have much success dragging the creature out. It slung its head back and jerked her a bit closer to itself, but she adjusted the directional force of her own levitation and halted that movement before it amounted to anything. The worm and the revenant were now at a standstill.

Running through her options, Zom considered that she could just wait for the creature to run through its endurance; but who knew how long that would take, and it would make for a pretty boring display. She also could try plunging straight into the maw and tearing it up from the inside, but that would get gross, and unpleasant if it didn't work.

A knife would've helped right now, she realized. Too bad she didn't have one on her.

For now, she continued bundling up as many tentacles as she could and wrapped them around her forearm. Meanwhile, she tried to get as good of a look at the creature as she could, even if she couldn't pull it out of its lair.

After a moment, she jerked towards the side of the hole and grabbed at the wall with her free hand. Grasping and breaking off a chunk of hard sediment, she hurled it forcefully at the creature's main body, just to see what would happen.
Talks2Self
Explorer

Post by Talks2Self »

As Zom took a good look at the Deep Worm, the revenant could discern from the dim lighting. The purple hued skin of the worm seemed covered in dirt and debris sticking to a mucosal film that shimmered and reflected bits of illumination from the entrance of this tunnel. Peering further down the business end that Zom is becoming more acquainted with was a thin toothed maw that opened into a blackened hole within its body where the tongues protruded with small barbs to lock in place its prey. However, what Zom would come to realize is the tongues encircled a fleshy hole that seemed plugged with three prongs with bulbous ends.

The bulbous protrusion ejected itself and came rushing forward to lap at her now as well with a slightly shorter reach that just narrowly missed Zom's eye. Zom could see in that instance that the bulbs resembled translucent dragon fruits that housed many more frog egg-like pods as the giggle emanated from somewhere that couldn't be detected.

As the clod flew through the air, Kiara and Zom could see a glint of something hidden within the sodden lump. As it struck the worm, the section of worm hit twisted in recoil as it began to bleed a trickle of neon green ooze.

Kiara shouted in a panic, "Fantastic Rocks and Where to Mine Them! Chapter three! Uhh-ahh-duuhh-" She struggled for the word as she pulled out her foldable spade shovel and charged back in to help her rescuer. She wouldn't make it back in time before the worm would strike again as she called out, "Flint! It's sharp flint!" Referring to the sediment thrown.

Luxon Cobrat
Oldie

Post by Luxon Cobrat »

The sight of the barbed tongues put the kibosh on any further notions Zom might have had of flying straight down the maw. For that matter, nearly getting a barb in the eye told her that getting any closer than she already was probably wouldn't be the best idea right now.

On the other hand, more than ever, it made her want to get the creature out into the open, where she could better maneuver to attack it.

The results of the dirt-throw were promising. Sharpened flint, eh? She could work with that...

Continuing her efforts to maintain her grip on the worm's tentacles while still keeping the greatest possible distance from the creature, she dug more sediment out to hurl. She would keep that attack up while attempting to not let the enemy withdraw, hoping it would advance on her by its own will. If that worked, she would try to lure it out of the tunnel.
Talks2Self
Explorer

Post by Talks2Self »

Kiara whirled back with her foldable shovel and let loose her fears into the form of violence as she chopped at the Giggle Worm's form. With a wet thwack, neon green blood sprayed the hobgoblin and the tunnel walls. As Kiara began to swing again, the purple body whipped around and sent her flying into the cavernous wall.

Kiara had been hit pretty hard on both accounts and it would have been hard to tell if she was down for the count if it weren't for her arms wrapping around her ribs and the active audible struggle to breathe.

The excited giggle echoed through the cavern as its blood spurted and sprayed from its body's fresh openings. It struggled against Zom to rend itself from her grasp to no avail. But as the worm took another blow from the sharpened stones, its giggles started becoming outright maniacal laughter. It closed in on Zom with the spawn pod visibly quivering.

Luxon Cobrat
Oldie

Post by Luxon Cobrat »

Zom would have preferred for the worm's initial prey to not rush in. But, to be fair, Zom hadn't exactly communicated her own plan. She did wince as Kiara took the hit and was tossed against the wall. It would be a problem if the worm went after Kiara again. Zom needed its attention on herself right now. Luckily, it advanced on the revenant instead.

Smiling with the satisfaction of a plan working out, Zom drifted back away as quickly as the worm approached. She stayed near the wall, both to guide herself and to keep her ammunition of dirt clods at hand, which she continued to pelt the creature with. At the same time, she kept moving backwards, hoping it would chase her all the way out of the tunnel.

She wished she could have grabbed Kiara's shovel, but didn't want to bring the worm's attention back to the wrong target.
Talks2Self
Explorer

Post by Talks2Self »

From the perspective of Kiara, she watched with blurred vision as the worm advanced on Zom. Between gasping for breath and finding the strength to stand, she found herself grasping her shovel as she stood and moved behind the creature of now insane ghostly laughter.

Kiara could barely see the silhouette of Zom in front of the Deep Worm, but called out to her in a shakey, but well echoed, wheeze, "Heads up!"

Kiara threw the shovel with the intent that Zom could grab it before it touched ground so not to completely divide her attention if it were a fluid set of motions.

The shovel flew true and sliced one of the tongues that had been bound by Zom as it came within a quick grabbing distance from Zom's hand.

The worm screeched loudly as one of it's many tongues became rended and a spray of the green glowing blood sputtered and began to spray out in thickened rope-like streams.

The worm had clearly had enough of playing with its offspring's hosts as it whipped its non-teeth end into the air and slammed into the ground where Kiara had stood. The forceful impact was avoided, but not in its entirety and had sent a shockwave through Kiara as she exhaled sharply and was to be found on the ground motionless. It then writhingly sprung forward and closed the distance of the lashing spawn pod tongue as it sent it forward at Zom. The tubular barb from within the pod squelched out and would inject Zom with its young to incubate the spawn if she couldn't act fast enough. The only other positive note of this was the uncertainty of what would happen next...

Luxon Cobrat
Oldie

Post by Luxon Cobrat »

Zom's wish was granted as Kiara threw her the shovel. As it came close enough, Zom grabbed it, though she was splattered with a splash of the worm's green blood for her trouble.

The severing of one tentacle seemed to set the beast off, as it slammed Kiara with its tail, then lunged at Zom.

Faster than she could react, a tongue shot forth and plugged a barb deep into her stomach. Zom jerked back at that, ripping herself free of the sting, and opening a serious hole in her abdomen in the process.

In no small amount of pain, Zom sucked in a breath and abandoned her earlier notion of a deliberate plan. Thinking only to punish the creature, she pulled its captured tongues taught and swept the edge of the shovel at them, aiming to sever the whole lot at once.
Talks2Self
Explorer

Post by Talks2Self »

As the sharp tube pierced Zom's stomach, an overload of spawn pods lumpily shot into the revenant, it squealed in joy as the translucent bulbs nearly emptied entirely.

As the worm was removed from Zom forcefully, she could feel the muscles of the tentacles relax a bit. It would try to flee, but was cut off by the sudden jerk of the vengeful Zom and three-quarters of the tongues and spawn pod were severed. The painful yowling of the worm would quickly cease as it pulled back against Zom and eviscerated itself as its innards plopped out in a neon green goo coating black and slick guts.

The tendrils pulled were attached to the stomach lining as the creature writhes silently for a moment then falls to the ground with a thud.

This thud awoke Kiara and she sorely arose to her feet and focused her vision on her savior with a thankful smile. This moment, however, quickly turned to shock and horror. Kiara knew she needed to act fast and began running towards her bag to grab one of her knives.
"Don't shake around too much! You're in danger and time is working against us!"

As she blows past the revenant, Kiara tries to explain a little better as she slides into her bag and withdraws her leather knife sleeve. "What that worm did was put her eggs in you. They're activated by vibrations and if you shake around too much..." Kiara explains as she withdraws a scalpel and a very large spoon, "And you'll be eaten from the inside out."

Kiara rushes back over and explains further, "If they're not out by the time they hatch, you'll die slow and painfully. I can take them out, but try not to squirm. It'll be painful, not gonna lie, but not as bad as having those things hatch inside you..."

Kiara kept her eyes trained on Zom for permission.

Luxon Cobrat
Oldie

Post by Luxon Cobrat »

After her initial attack slashed through several of the tentacles, Zom was going to rush on in and lay into the worm's body proper with the shovel. But before she could do that, the creature jerked away and gutted itself. Moments later, it had collapsed and fell still.

Disappointed that the fight had ended so abruptly, Zom sighed. Folding her hands behind her back, she idly walked up to the carcass and kicked it.

Hearing the worm's intended victim speaking, Zom turned to face her. She listened with interest to the description of how she was going to be eaten alive from the inside, but her face didn't show as much concern for this as one might have expected.

"Ah, well," she finally responded. "As far as dying slowly and painfully goes, I've already been there, done that. Though I don't much fancy having any wormlings gnawing my guts, so thanks for the warning. But let's not have this take all day."

With that, she casually worked her fingers into the puncture wound on her stomach, widened it until she could grasp the parting skin in both hands, then ripped her entire abdomen wide open, letting out a sharp hiss. Though she started to turn pale at this point, Zom kept on doing what she was doing, and unceremoniously tore out all of her innards south of her diaphragm with her own bare hands, flinging them onto the ground.

At this point, she was breathing in ragged breaths and looked like she might collapse at any moment, but somehow she remained standing. Slowly, she seemed to become steadier, and her breath went back to normal. She still held her now-empty abdominal cavity wide open, inviting inspection.

"See any... left... in there...?" she breathed.

She certainly hoped none of the eggs had escaped that general area. It always sucked when she had to boil herself just to kill off an internal infestation, but such was often the life of the dead.
Talks2Self
Explorer

Post by Talks2Self »

Though the lackluster response was disconcerting enough, Kiara had not expected for Zom to open up her abdomen like she had. Fear ran across Kiara's face, but she steeled herself quickly and reached for one of the fallen worm's tongues. Kiara sliced into them with the scalpel and coated both tools with a thin translucent substance mixed with the neon light. It would numb the sensations to the point where the mind wouldn't perceive anything amiss, not even leaving a tingling sensation of numbness.

A formality, at best at this rate.

"Okay," Kiara started holding back so many questions, "this shouldn't hurt now, it'll just take a second."

As Kiara dug in with scalpel, aided by the neon glow, she worked her hands into the chest cavity. Not two seconds later, a pop could be heard with a tiny screech. Kiara, having not been formally trained medically but learned all she could through books and pigs, nicked a pod and a wormlett came out wriggling.

This one was easy enough to dispatch with an arm extended deeper into the body cavity and crushed between a finger and the scalpel causing some extra lighting. However the next cut was also just as bad if not worse. Three more were hatched and subsequently dispatched, although now it seemed like Zom's insides would be lit enough to not need assistance from a glowing scalpel.

Kiara pulled out and took in a deep breath to subvert her fear of failure as she confidently stated, "I'm going to get this right, just hang in there!" She allowed a moment for Zom to respond and dug in again, this time she moved as an expert would. She made few cuts to dislodge the clusters and with the trowel scooped them out in fours, threes, then by the tens and dozens. As each pod fell to the ground, some would hatch with no where to go and would wither and die very quickly. Others would feast upon their kin before also succumbing to the stale air that their bodies were not covered in a membrane to protect against. Soon, Kiara was done and placed her tools next to her with a sigh of relief and looked up at Zom, "It's done, no need to worry about a skin crawling sensation now. Soooo..." She asked, "What exactly are you?"

Luxon Cobrat
Oldie

Post by Luxon Cobrat »

Zom stood still while Kiara dug around inside of her. The few accidentally-hatched eggs made her a bit uneasy, but it seemed that they were dispatched quickly enough, and at least Zom didn't feel anything go crawling through her. After some time, it finally seemed that the eggs were all removed and accounted for.

She watched with some interest as several of the eggs hatched upon hitting the ground, wormlings turning on each other and quickly dying.

Finally, it seemed to be done. At least, Kiara said as much. Zom pushed her skin back together and held it there as it slowly sealed itself. Then came Kiara's question.

"Alright, I'll be straight with you," she said. "I'm something that isn't alive or dead. Never found a way that I could be killed either, and I was looking for a while. I guess I like the word 'revenant' best."

She shrugged.

"As for who I am, I go by Zom these days," she said. "How about you?"
Talks2Self
Explorer

Post by Talks2Self »

"Well," Kiara started cautiously, "I've never met a friendly revenant before, so this is indeed a nice change of pace." She emphasized and then finished chipperly.

"My name is Kiara Willabur. I tend to the pigs on my family farm not far from here if you'd need a place to stay for a few nights. I'm sure that they'll welcome a heroine like yourself. However I'm not sure which direction it's in from here."

What Kiara didn't know was she had fallen into a "wormhole," figurative and literal, that had transported her from her world into this one. She pointed to the illuminated opening to the outside world, "Hey let's get up out of this hole and I'll take a bit of judgement from the sun's position to figure it out." She would pause to await Zom after gathering her things used in the makeshift surgical procedure and shovel in her arms.

Luxon Cobrat
Oldie

Post by Luxon Cobrat »

Of course, now Zom wondered if her new acquaintance had met other revenants. Maybe she would ask about it later.

Honestly, Zom felt like she could stand some human interaction. Well... humanoid. And she did need a place to stop and clean the fresh layer of blood off her clothes. Preferably without damaging them more than she could help. And she could stand to give her guts some time to grow back in without too much agitation, for that matter.

"Lead on," she finally said.

Her movement was a bit unsteady now, but she followed Kiara all the same.

It should be noted that having torn herself open and deposited a catastrophic portion of her insides on the ground had in fact left her in quite a lot of pain. Certainly a good deal more than she was showing outwardly. She'd dealt with far worse, but she was questioning whether the brief excitement of that fight had been worth it after all.

Well, it would take a little while for her lost organs to regrow, but they would, and this would all be in the past.