News: ~January 24th 2019~ - (Old News)
The board has undergone an update. Everything should be fine now but if you see something broken, please make a post in Away to let me know. We also have a new chat, check it out!

RP News: ~November 19th 2015~ (Old RP News)
There is no current plot. The forests welcome new travelers within these lands.
Event Status: Not Active (each accepted character allowed to RP in multiple RP threads)

RP Season: Summer
This means everything is green, flowers are everywhere, and the shining sun creates a need for shady shelter on the warmest days.

Crossed Paths

Trees, trees everywhere, all kinds of different trees. For most the first place they set foot in when arriving in these lands, a welcoming safe haven that provides food, water and shelter from the elements. Just kind of quiet, why are there so few animals here?

Moderator: forgerofsouls

Lanadyr
Resident

Crossed Paths

Post by Lanadyr » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:09 pm

(continued from: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34534)

Entropy and Orb, the latter still in her Caregiver Mode, quickly made their way through the forest, doing their utmost to stay ahead of their potential pursuers. Only moments before, they had been attacked by two dragon-like creatures, and they had barely survived the ordeal unscathed. Fortunately, they were within a short distance of The Filter and, hopefully, reinforcements.

As they travelled, Orb quietly and efficiently explained to Entropy why she was larger than when they had first met, and how she felt the need to remain in her current mode of operation to maintain access to its defensive capabilities, despite the fact that returning to her Friend Mode would have increased her speed.

(continued from: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34544)

Triage had finally shaken the disturbing dream from her mind, and was shadowboxing in the middle of The Filter to blow off some steam, when the door suddenly burst open. The plant-woman instantly turned her head to see an unusually large Orb and an unfamiliar silver-skinned woman with wings and a tail standing in the doorway to her establishment.

Triage didn't bother to move from her mid-punch stance as she spoke. "Hi, Orb. Who's your date?"

Orb was all-business. "Triage, this is Entropy, a new arrival to the forest. The two of us were attacked earlier by a pair of dragon-kin, and our assailants may be of a mind to gather reinforcements and try their luck again. Your assistance would be most appreciated. Where's Quartz?"

Triage straightened herself and shrugged. "This morning, she ran off to that excavation site of hers in the Grassy Hills. She should have been back by now, but you know how she sometimes...okay, always gets wrapped up in her work." The split-thorn calmly grabbed her half-finished coffee off of a nearby table. "Well, seeing as how this structure offers no substantial barrier to anything except our ability to see what's coming at us, I suppose we should wait for our imminent doom outside. I'll finish my drink first and meet you out there in just a second."

Orb nodded at the plan, such as it was, and backed away from the front door with her new friend. Almost as soon as she did so, Quartz appeared in the sky, carrying an anthropomorphic donkey in three of her four arms, just returning from a grand aerial tour of the entire forest for the sake of her passenger.

The sand-woman landed, gently placed Devon upon the ground, and made a motion with one of her arms to speak with her mechanical glove, but Orb preempted her. "Quartz, we may be in grave danger. This is Entropy." She motioned quickly to the winged woman at her side before continuing. "We were attacked a short while ago by a pair of dragon-kin, and they may be rallying themselves and perhaps even their allies for another attempt."

The sand-woman responded by unceremoniously dropping her sack of scavenged mechanical parts, drawing her large bow with one hand, drawing a large arrow with another hand, and using her two remaining hands to make introductions. "Devon, this is Orb. She is a friend. I'm afraid I have not had the pleasure of meeting Entropy before now. Orb and Entropy, this is Devon, a new arrival to the forest. Orb, where is Triage?"

"I'm coming, I'm coming. Keep your non-existent pants on." Triage stepped out of The Filter, partially turned to her side to close the door behind her. She then began to turn to actually face the small crowd before her. "All right, who's ready to kick some aaaaaaaaa..."

As her glowing eyes fell upon Devon for the first time, the word she was saying stuck in her throat. But not for the obvious reason. It was because a single overwhelming, paralyzing, alien thought suddenly hit her mind with the ton-of-bricks force of a perfect moment of clarity, overpowering her ability to even try to think of anything else.

I should have told him I loved him when I had the chance.

Quartz tilted her head a bit in confusion at her friend's discombobulation. "Triage?"

"...aaaaaaaaa..."

"Triage!"

"...aaaauh, what, huh?" Triage shook her head, blinked her eyes, and looked at the donkey-man once again. The intense, bizarre emotional response had dissipated as suddenly as it had erupted within her, and only the (albeit tainted) first impression of a total stranger remained. "Right, uh, sorry about that, Devon."

Quartz slowly returned her head to a fully upright position. "How did you know Devon's name? Did you overhear my earlier introductions from inside The Filter?"

Triage, as confused about her possession of this particular piece of information as anyone, darted her eyes back and forth between the staring faces surrounding her. "Um, yes?"

Orb, desirous of not only her own survival but that of her friends, decided to bring everyone's attention back to the more pressing matter at hand. "Keep your wits about you, everyone. We don't know when or even if we'll be attacked, but we do know that we won't have much time to react if it does occur. These creatures are quite fast." She then turned to face in the direction that she and Entropy had just arrived from, her hands raised in anticipation of a counterstrike.

Triage, grateful to Orb for distracting everyone else from herself and even more grateful to Orb for distracting herself from herself, quickly climbed to the roof of The Filter for a better vantage point. Or maybe just to get away from the exact spot upon which she had just embarrassed herself. Or maybe a little of both.

Quartz, meanwhile, began to scan the forest around the group as her mechanical glove's speakers came to life. "I'm sorry that I brought you into this perilous situation, Devon. Orb's words indicated that Entropy can ably defend herself, but, frankly, I don't know your capabilities in this regard. If you wish, you may stay roughly equidistant between the four of us for protection. Either that, or you can stay close to Orb, as she can extend a kind of invisible shielding around herself and one other person."
Gaius
Resident

Re: Crossed Paths

Post by Gaius » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:57 am

((Really had hoped to polish it off last week. Ah well. Still feels good to get it through. ^_^ ))

While feeling a tad awkward about being carried for the duration -- and rediscovering a mild fear of heights -- Devon had enjoyed his aerial tour with Quartz. Despite how his senses of geography had never been sharp, he found value in comparing notes between the forest below and the Forest he knew. More than that, he'd been cagey about sharing his last memories before waking in the wastelands. Knowledge that he wasn't alone in those opened up his floodgates. The former human hadn't realized how much he'd wanted to share, also welcoming news about others in his position, and other oddities beside. Of course, he wasn't up to sharing everything; for one, he kept his original species to himself. 'One step at a time.'

After all that stressful disorientation on waking, Devon was finally beginning to relax. And that lasted right up until his keen ears picked up some voices, and zeroed in on the words, "our imminent doom." After a pause, he looked up at Quartz. "Um. So, no sort of... cataclysm scheduled for today, right?" After landing, things then began moving very quickly. It became clear that, no, this was an impromptu affair, and yes, the plans he'd had for some R&R were going on hiatus. Worry became plain on the donkey's face as he tried to follow it all.

Devon's eyes also passed over the woman-shaped conglomerate of marbles and the silver-skinned woman with ears and tail. His gaze lingered a bit longer over the latter, squinting as he tilted his head slightly. Not that the former was any less than an intriguing sight, she fit Quartz's brief description earlier and stirred no perceptible memories in him besides. '... I have seen you before...' The former human finally caught himself gawking as Quartz started the introductions. 'Time to sort it out later. If there's a later.' He gave a polite if distracted nod to Orb and Entropy, and then between them at his own name.

Then the name "Triage" summoned the fifth member of their little group, and the Split-Thorn proceeded to make a terrible first impression. With ears set back, eyes narrowed, tail sharply aflick, and mouth wearing a frown, Devon conveyed as much dissatisfaction as his donkey body allowed him. Still, this softened almost completely as the unfinished word dragged on and on. Amused, a small smile even tagged in for the frown, but only until Quartz's tone started to concern him. The former human stiffened and found his head tilting at the prickly one. He was never any good at reading unfamiliar body language so soon -- and Triage's featureless, glowing eyes definitely fit -- but even he picked up on intensity she focused on him. He began to suspect it had little to do with her faux-pas in progress.

After the Fleukondthim snapped her friend out of it quick enough, Devon received an apology. Still a bit concerned, he nodded his acceptance. "It's not like you'd even seen me, so... no HAWWrd feelings." He gave a cough and a blush of embarrassment. "Heh, hadn't heard me, either..." While some part of her incomplete word still stung, he gave her a sheepish smile and a shrug, hoping to defuse things and move on. At least until the woman of sand commented on her knowing his name, which brought the donkey a fresh bushel of curiosity. Still, Orb piped up with a reminder of the situation and Triage used that chance to spring for the roof. Perhaps an awkward conversation waited in their futures, but securing those futures came first.

Devon turned at Quartz's words, shaking his head at her apology. "You couldn't have known. Heh, really, it's just one of those days." He wondered idly how long he'd been unconscious in the wastes; for all he knew it could all still be the same day as that wackiness in the Forest he knew. "As for me... Well..." The donkey-fellow's ears drooped as he frowned. "I'm not... terrible in a fight, but 'dragon-kin' sounds pretty outta my league. I might have a trick or two up my sleeve-- er, sleeve... pattern?" He rubbed his left hoof nervously against the gray fur on his right forelimb, near his white "socks." "But I think I'm gonna be pretty useless." Devon glanced at Orb, considered, and then shook his head. "Thanks, but I don't want to be a burden. I'll just... try to keep out of everyone's way. Don't worry about me."

The former human's frown had steadily transitioned into a scowl at himself, tail twitching in obvious irritation. Then an idea struck him, perking up his ears. Still a weird sensation. "Well. I've got these things," he gestured toward his long ears with a hoof. "I'm probably our best early warning. That's something, at least. I'll keep alert." Cheered a bit by some use he could be, even if it involved those ridiculous things, he turned in the same direction as Orb faced. Devon trained his ears in that direction, feeling them twitch, shift, and occasionally flick, like irregularly-shaped satellite dishes zeroing in on a signal. "So, uh. Anything worth knowing about these things?"
Luxon Cobrat
Oldie

Post by Luxon Cobrat » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:26 am

Entropy followed close behind Orb through the forest. Normally the companion's explanation of her change in size would have brought on a whole slew of questions from the felcaeri, but Entropy's attention right now was focused on watching out for any signs of danger. This remained the state of things until the two at last arrived at the first artificial structure Entropy had seen in the area. Upon entry into that structure, Orb made quick introductions and got straight down to explaining the situation that had developed.

Meanwhile, Entropy noticed Devon regarding her with a look of... puzzlement, it seemed. She tried to keep her attention visibly focused on the conversation going on around her to avoid any awkwardness, but it was apparent that Devon was trying to place her, so the succubus found herself wondering where the two might have met each other before.

Before Entropy could draw anything but a blank, the final member of the gathering arrived, began to make an awkward statement in the presence of the aforementioned anthropomorphic donkey, and ended up... breaking, Entropy assumed.

Luckily, that crisis passed soon enough, and the conversation returned to the... other crisis. At Devon's offer to keep an ear out for danger, Entropy gave a nod of approval.

"Just the basics," Entropy finally spoke up, responding to Devon's final question. "They're about... at least twice as long as me, so I'd classify them as drakes. They fly, one of them breathed out a fireball at us, of course and you can expect sharp teeth and claws. I don't know what stirred them up, but they didn't ask any questions, so be ready for a sudden attack. If you hear anything coming, that's going to be the only warning we're probably going to get."

And with that, Entropy hopped up into the air, then flew up and sat herself down on the roof of the building they were standing in front of.

"I'll watch the skies," she called down. "Good luck."

As she waited, she gestured at the ground and caused a long, thin chunk of stone to emerge and float up into her grasp. She then began magically shearing off the edges of the stone and sharpening one end, transforming it into the shape of an oversized harpoon.
Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Sat May 30, 2015 4:18 am

Quartz stared at her composite bow. For a REALLY long time. A certain kind of observer might have thought she stared at it for a month and a half or so, but that would have just been silly.

Not liking what she was seeing in the bow, she attempted to correct the problem manually. Liking the fact that she found a rare problem that she couldn't fix with her four dextrous hands even less, she quickly but gracefully walked up to Orb. "There seems to be some kind of interference that is preventing me from tracking anything in the surrounding area with either the magical or mechanical parts of my longbow. Could you please take a look at it with your Mentor Mode? My glove appears to be affected as well, but it has no magical components that you can manipulate."

Orb, not yet lowering her hands from her surroundings, looked back at Quartz. "I suppose I can look at your bow, but that would mean that both of us would basically be unarmed while I work on it. Are you certain?"

Quartz nodded. "I would rather have the ability to see these creatures coming from a distance in the near future than have two active ranged combatants in the present. Given what we know about the speed of these beings, they would most likely be quite adept at avoiding projectiles at long ranges anyway. I feel comfortable trusting Triage and Entropy with our defenses for a short while."

Triage overheard this, glanced over at Entropy once again, freshly sized the newcomer up, and turned to the edge of the roof to call down to Quartz. "Uh…Yeah, I'm pretty sure we can make this happen, but don’t be super long about it."

Quartz then looked at Devon. "I'm afraid that you would not be well-defended on the ground while Orb works on my bow. If you would like, you can join Triage and Entropy on the roof for a short time."

Triage overheard this as well, and a rope-ish ladder made of plant life immediately erupted out of the ground near The Filter, complete with hoof-accommodating loops built into it. "Oh, sure. The more the merrier up here. Let's just hope being around him doesn't cause me to brain spasm again…and I said that last part out loud without intending to, so brain spasms ahoy!"

Orb, at the very least, was ignoring said brain spasm, as she was transforming herself into her Mentor Mode. Once she was the size of a teenager, she confidently held out her hand to take Quartz' bow from her.

The fleukondthim nodded in appreciation as she handed over the weapon. "Thank you."

"Whatever. Let's just get this over with." Orb immediately placed the massive weapon onto the ground and began to tinker with its magical components.
Gaius
Resident

Post by Gaius » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:44 pm

((I swear that I will someday write a short post. Just... not today, I guess))

Devon nodded along with Entropy's explanation. The situation lined up pretty well with what he'd expected from the phrase "dragon-kin." He gulped audibly. 'C'mon, day! You've been rotten enough! You don't have to actually threaten to get me eaten or flash-fried, do ya?' Still, the donkey tried to make himself appear calmer than he felt. "R-Right. I'll let you all know when I hear them coming."

Devon returned his full attention to that task, breaking only for a nod and a, "You too," as the succubus took flight. And then again as she called up a bit of stone armament. He didn't quite manage to tune out Quartz, Orb, and Triage's conversation about the fleukondthim's more advanced weaponry. Though this did impress on Devon the importance of his hearing: whatever issue that bow was having, it really left him their only form of advance notice. 'No pressure.' The donkey took a breath, closed his eyes, and focused.

A few bees buzzed around flowers some ways off to the left... A strong gust of wind shook a number of branches around half an acre behind him... Countless woodland critters scurried across fields or trees all around... He was stunned: he hadn't realized he could make out so many sounds in a forest like this. Except... Devon had. His first day transformed, in fact. '... Right. Everything old is new today.' It still puzzled and concerned him, but since he'd woken, everything had a strong sense of the unfamiliar, no matter how well he knew it wasn't. This marked the first time he actually felt thankful: it was like discovering that whole new wondrous world of sound all over again. He could only be so thankful, though. It might be amazing, but it was also distracting.

It was just as well that Quartz then addressed him. "Ah. Well... Again, I don't want to be a bothWhoa!" Devon stumbled back a step from today's Surprise #78: a convenient new floral ladder, built just for him! Once this registered, he looked and listened up at the Split-Thorn. He stared, trying to make sense of it, and promptly gave up. "Uh... Th-Thank you. And... Good to know we'll be having a nice long tAWWk later?" He noticed the brays seemed to like mucking up that word in particular. 'They'd pretty much have to.'

Devon cleared his throat. "Okay, I'm headed up. But just so I can hear better. Don't let me get in your way, okay?" He made for the ladder. The climb up was a little tricky; he found most things requiring an upright stance tended to be exercises in awkwardness. Still, the loops helped, and soon the donkey's hooves clopped onto the roof of The Filter. Devon's eyes passed over the two ladies up there. He was sorely tempted to strike up a chat with either the one he sort of remembered or the one who seemed to... more than sort of know him, but... No. If he was going to contribute, this was his chance.

'Okay. Seriously, focus.' Devon turned in the direction Orb and Entropy had indicated. 'Alright... You're just nervous. That's all. You... You got this.' He wasn't impressed with his shot at selling himself. 'You just... Remember the tips Thoee gave you...' She'd been so pleased with his prior training, and glad of the solid foundation for some simple advice. The donkey smiled lightly at the memory. 'Don't rush it, don't force it. Just... relax, and let it come.' He closed his eyes, and began to breathe through his nose, an even tempo of long, slow breaths. 'And in... And out...' Devon hadn't realized how much his heart had been racing until it began to slow. 'And in... And out...' Nor had he noticed all the tension in his muscles until it began to melt. 'And... in...'

Devon looked as tranquil as he felt, his only movements falling in time with his breathing. And the motions of his ears. To a part of him, it still felt odd as all get out, but he wasn't paying it any mind. Nor was he paying anything else in particular any mind. He was aware of the chatter and tinkering, the swaying of branches and the padding of paws, the buzzing of bees and chittering of critters, but not distracted by any of it. Long ears twitching and shifting independently, the former human drank it all in for several long minutes, acclimating to the pool of sound around him.

Then his ears fixed themselves, fully perked and alert, on something that broke the stillness of that pool. "Th-They're coming." Devon resisted the urge to open his eyes and doubled down on the sounds he'd picked up. Great big whooshing somethings, growing louder -- nearer -- with no small purpose. But not directly. He turned his head to help his ears, following them. "They're circling around... And rising... One... Two of them. And... Wow, one of them is huge, an--" One ear flicked and one hoof took an awkward step at what he'd just picked up. "No, three. Four!" One was still noticeably bigger than the others, but two of them must have flown closely to it; he'd misjudged them for a beat. "Yeah. One big, three small. Well, smaller." That seemed to be it, though.

And that went for their circling, too. Tail twitching nervously, Devon extended a hoof in the direction from which they were hurtling. "There. They're coming fast." He gulped as he opened his eyes. "G-Get ready." For all the good it would do, he settled into a shaky defensive stance. He tried to get at least some tattered version of that calm he'd had a few minutes ago. He could go for some of that around now.
Luxon Cobrat
Oldie

Post by Luxon Cobrat » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:23 am

At Devon's warning, Entropy hopped up, gripped her harpoon at the ready, and rose into the air. Not wanting to give the drakes the initiative by waiting for them to come into view, the succubus spread her wings and quickly ascended. And there they were: one large drake leading, with three smaller ones following in its wake, sailing just above the canopy.

If they were smart, Entropy thought, they were going to split up soon and flank her comrades on the ground. She needed to get their attention first.

Diving at their leader, Entropy first projected a flash of lightning that arced across all four dragon-kin. Though this merely jolted them, it was enough to get their gaze focused on her - just in time for the succubus to cross the rest of the gap and drive her spear in at the big one. Unfortunately, the drake itself was quite tough, and the head of the harpoon merely scraped across its scales. Painful, no doubt, but not lethal.

Entropy wasn't counting on fatal damage, however, and was already out of the way by the time the drake's claws swiped in retaliation at the space she had occupied not a second earlier. The succubus was now making a bee-line back to the Filter, and all four drakes chased after her. She landed on the roof, spun to face the drakes, and braced herself as they did what she had wanted them to do - all rush in from the same direction. Entropy considered this a good start, but now it was time for the battle to truly begin...
Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:44 am

Quartz looked down at Orb at about the same time that Entropy launched her initial attack. "Is my bow repaired?"

The teenager-sized Orb didn't look up as she shook her head, continuing to run her hands over the weapon to apply unseen solutions to an unseen problem as she spoke. "I need a few more seconds."

Quartz unslung her quiver of arrows and placed it gingerly upon the ground. "We don't have a few more seconds. Continue with your work, but I must act now." With that, the fleukondthim lifted herself into the air with both speed and grace, flying as high as she could as quickly as she could.

Triage, meanwhile, watched Entropy's opening salvo with interest, all the more so because it took her mind off of recent developments of the emotionally disconcerting variety. Once the winged woman had ensured that she had gotten the drakes' undivided collective attention and fell back to the roof once again, the split-thorn cracked her knuckle-equivalents and quickly decided upon a course of action.

Triage leapt high into the air, directly towards the largest dragon-kin. Before the thing could react to the living projectile, the plant-woman thrust an arm out to her side and slammed it into the drake's neck in a clothesline-like maneuver. Of course, the thick scales on the neck offered some protection, but the spiny arm continued to do damage as Triage's body's significant momentum carried her further past the bottom of the neck. As the attack continued to cut for itself a bloody swath across the side of the neck, the resulting friction on the attacking side of the plant-woman's body dragged her to that side, exactly as she had anticipated.

During Triage's ascent, she briefly caught sight of her best friend, high above her and the flock of drakes, shaping the lower half of her sandy body into a giant spike protruding from the bottom of her dress, pulling sand and bone from her arms for even more raw material as she did so. The plant-woman smiled, having at least some idea of what was to come.

When Triage's momentum finally ran out, she was able to flip herself in mid-air and grab onto the top of the creature's neck. She then quickly scrambled, using the brambles of her body as miniature pitons to keep herself secured, to the top of the massive drake's skull. The split-thorn finished the operation by grabbing onto both of the creature's eyelids and playfully kissing the thing on the top of its scaly forehead.

"Good thing Quartz isn't the jealous type, big boy! I want you all to myself!"

Triage yanked the eyelids backwards with no mercy, and the drake responded by altering its flight trajectory into a backwards loop, reptilian screams of pain and rage filling the air as it did so. In a matter of seconds, Triage and the dragon-kin had completed the loop and disappeared into the thick forest canopy below.

As Triage was doing this, and producing an able distraction as a side effect, Quartz retracted her wings and formed the remainder of her body into as aerodynamic a shape as possible as she plummeted to her target below. At the exact moment that the plant-woman disappeared with her quarry, the sand-woman hit both terminal velocity and one of the smaller drakes dead-center.

They were both still hurdling to the ground in a single conjoined mass as the impacted drake quickly regathered its wits and raised a claw to slash at the limbless Quartz above it. Before the strike came, however, a massive arrow suddenly slammed into its side. As the dragon-kin went careening away from the sand-woman, Quartz returned to her default shape and gracefully landed upon the ground near to Orb, who had no legs at the moment because she had used those marbles to make her arms large enough to use the fleukondthim's oversized magical weapon herself.

Quartz retrieved her quiver, sans a single arrow, from the ground close to Orb. "My thanks, for both the repair and the more martial assistance."

Orb quickly returned to a much more humanoid shape and handed the weapon back to the sand-woman. "It's not even close to over yet, Quartz. The bow's sensors didn't register any permanent damage."

Quartz took up her bow and turned in the direction within which the hopefully-at-least-a-bit-injured drake had disappeared. The newly-functional sensors on the weapon immediately began to detect fast movements heading straight for her and Orb's position through the vision-obscuring vegetation of the forest. "Please transform into your Caregiver Mode. We will require its combat capabilities."

The Companion shoved an arm into her rucksack and wasted no time in complying with the sand-woman's request, speaking as she became as large as a grown woman once again. "And what about the other two drakes? The ones still heading towards the roof of The Filter?"

Quartz aimed her bow in the direction of their still-invisible stalker and nocked an arrow. "Given our present circumstances, Orb, I'm afraid Devon and Entropy are on their own."
Gaius
Resident

Post by Gaius » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:43 am

((Bleagh... x_x Both of you have my sincerest apologies for the terrible, terrible delay. I will work on being considerably less awful on the next one.))

Devon's ears rang with the variety of clashes that filled the air. He hadn't even imagined there could be so many sounds for weapon-on-scale impacts and scrapes. Thunderbolt, ice harpoon, thorn-bodied warrior, sand-bodied warrior, arrow of unusual size... And the fight had raged for maybe 30 seconds! The donkey had fully expected his contribution would be the least of the five. This brought the basis of comparison into sharp relief.

Also coming into sharp relief: the remaining two drakes. Devon tried to focus less on the size of his contribution to the fight and more on surviving it as their maws bore down. He once again went back to cobble together some sort of strategy and resolve. Alas, his mind had as much luck grasping at those straws as his hooves would have. '... What am I supposed to do? What can I even do?' Even at his best, the former human felt this fight fell pretty squarely into "inappropriate encounter level" territory.

Shaking, Devon found it a little reassuring when Entropy touched down, several meters from him. Actually, more than a little. Aside from being a much more pleasant sight than the growing draconic maws -- their owners fresh off a jolt and not happy -- someone on his side who could throw lightning and giant ice javelins with equal aplomb was a very real comfort. Especially combined with her attitude. She looked to him confident enough for both of them as she turned to face the drakes. Devon could practically hear her saying, "Yeah, I zapped you. Got a problem? Here I am!"

The donkey tried to get his head in order, despite the trembling. 'Okay. So. This sucks. But! You don't have to beat these things. You are with a lot of women who know what they're doing. All you have to do is stay out of their way and let them handle this.' The moment wasn't his proudest, but it did lift his spirits a bit and cut off some of his less helpful anxieties. 'If you see an opening, you can even pitch in a little. ... Somehow.'

Devon wasn't really sure how. Though his ears perked as he took notice of something. The two monsters were clearly incensed, but were also not approaching as fast as they had at their first appearance. And, while he wasn't sure they'd even noticed him, their eyes were locked on the succubus. 'They're being cautious... Don't know what she can do.' It made sense. And if they were on guard, that wasn't going to do any favors to anything she might try. Especially if they flanked her. They needed that attention divided.

And so Devon saw an opening. This was not the same as liking it. "E-Entropy?" he started, trying and failing to keep his nerves out of his tone. "T-Try to get ready. For, for when they're distracted. I hope."

The beasts drew nearer still. He felt it was time for them to notice him. The fey-touched one drew a breath of air in, and then vanished as a less natural air whirled about him. A similar gust, near the edge closest to the monsters and not far from Entropy, kicked up at the same time. There he reappeared, giving a fierce shout with his not inconsiderable equine lungpower. Probably not necessary, that shout, but Devon figured every little bit could help. Four reptilian eyes jerked coldly to his new location and widened, while two flight plans shifted slightly as their owners lurched in surprise.

'Yes!' The upside was that an individual suddenly moving from one point to another without passing through the intervening space -- particularly if they had any sort of ability to see magic -- seemed sure to get their attention.

'... Ohh...' The downside was that it seemed sure to get their attention. Devon very much hoped Entropy could take advantage of that moment. The drakes were still very much approaching the roof of the The Filter at speed, and closer than ever.
Luxon Cobrat
Oldie

Post by Luxon Cobrat » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:56 am

Within moments of Entropy's landing, Triage and Quartz ambushed the largest drake and one of the smaller ones. Entropy was pleased with the quick results, but two drakes were still focused on her.

And they were approaching cautiously, which was both good and bad. Good, because in the chaos of a wild charge, anything could have happened. Bad, because caution meant a game of maneuvers, with a possibility of the two dragonkin outflanking the one succubus. But that die was cast. Entropy rose into the air and began drifting backwards, not so quickly as to invite a pursuit by giving the impression that she was retreating, but enough to maintain a distance between herself and her opponents, sizing their reactions up just as they were her. It was a moment of quiet tension despite the rest of the fight taking place nearby, but all parties knew all Hell was about to break loose.

And that was when Devon announced his intention to create a distraction. Entropy felt a twinge of concern at that, but it was Devon's risk to take.

Entropy wasn't exactly sure what Devon was planning, though. And then Devon made his move. It was simple enough, as magic went - teleporting a short distance with the help of some kind of supernatural wind. But it did get the attention of the drakes.

The succubus didn't have an elaborate plan for this, so she just reacted. As soon as the drakes turned their gaze on Devon, Entropy flew forth at blinding speed, forming a jagged-edged shard of ice around her forearm. In the time it took for the drakes to notice and process her movement, she had already reached one and slashed into its side. The creature gasped in pain and shock, and swatted angrily with a claw, but Entropy darted out of the way, then flew around and cut into the membrane of its wing, slicing neatly all the way up to the bone. The drake immediately fell out of the air and sprawled out on the ground below, disoriented.

The second drake, having been caught in a moment of indecision as to whether to pursue Devon or Entropy, now fully returned its attention to Entropy, charging at her wildly. Entropy pulled back from this and fully retreated for some distance, keeping just out of its reach. After a few seconds of this chase, the drake let out a fiery blast that caught up with the succubus and exploded into a cloud of flame around her. But not a second later, Entropy charged straight out of this cloud, spun in mid-air, and kicked the surprised dragonkin straight on the side of the head with a loud crack. As the drake reeled back from this, Entropy pursued and kicked it again. This drove the creature back further, but this time it rallied and, with a beat of its wings, began to charge again. But Entropy thrust her hands forth and met that charge with a burst of icy flak that battered the drake and quickly forced it to reel back again, raising its claws to shield its face.

While the drake couldn't see, Entropy moved again, arcing around and coming up behind the creature. Entropy held both arms out wide, palms beginning to glow a bright orange. And then she lunged forward, thrusting both of those palms over the drake's eyes just as an intense gout of her own flame began to burst from them. Then she pulled back again as the fire continued to burn over the creature's eyes, then died down to reveal two charred holes where the eyes had been.

Suddenly extremely disoriented, the drake flailed around wildly for a time, charging in seemingly random directions, before finally slamming itself onto the ground. Entropy, meanwhile, began to work a larger spell, gathering mana and carefully forming a spell matrix without a direct threat against her. Then she finished and released it. At that moment, a massive spike of ice formed in the air, aimed itself at the drake, and flew down, piercing the creature straight through. With one last saurian howl, the creature expired.

Entropy then turned back to the other drake, which had regained its senses and was attempting to climb up onto the roof of the Filter where Devon had been. With somewhat less effort, Entropy pulled the spell she had just cast back together, reshaping it slightly, and cast it again. This time (so as not to damage the building), a spire of ice erupted from the ground under the creature, piercing and carrying it up into the air and away from the building a ways, then turning and driving back down into the ground. Sometime during this process, the creature breathed its last and fell limp.

That done, Entropy dusted herself off and turned to observe what was happening elsewhere. It looked, at least for the moment, like her friends on the ground still had things in hand, so the succubus returned to the roof to check on Devon.

"So... you okay?" she asked the donkey-like person, then gave him a bit of a friendly smile. "That was... good work there, by the way. Quick thinking. Resourceful."

The succubus seemed to be stumbling on her words a bit there, as she herself was rather aware, but her tone was at least sincere.
Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:36 pm

Triage and the largest dragon-like beast had disappeared from the views of the others only a few moments prior. But Triage was fast, and the dragon-kin was faster, so a great deal of combat had taken place in those few moments.

The massive drake had seen better days. Various patches of flesh across its entire body were torn to bloody strips. On its head, the right eye socket had been collapsed, and the teeth had been torn away from the right side of its mouth. The right wing had a Triage-shaped hole in the largest stretch of membrane, and the entire appendage hung limply at the beast's side. Its left front claw was missing two digits, and a third digit was only remaining attached through a string of sinew.

Still, the dragon-kin kept a vicious pressure upon its opponent, rearing itself for another assault upon the plant-woman.

Triage, for her part, was in even worse shape. A massive gash in her stomach revealed a sparking mess of broken brambles, snapped wires, leaking sap, and sundered circuitry. A second gash in her left shoulder had almost completely removed a large chunk of the left side of her body, which was now only hanging on by virtue of two stubborn vines and what was left of a torn metallic micromesh. The entire right side of her body was burned black by dragonfire.

If the split-thorn was in pain, though, she was enjoying herself too much to notice. She was wielding two of the large drake's missing teeth, one in each hand, as improvised weapons, and she waved one of them in a beckoning motion as she screamed through a wicked smile fueled by both her and her opponent's fury. "Bring it, beautiful!"

The drake charged. Triage responded by splitting into four versions of herself that scattered in multiple directions. As her opponent flew through the space that she no longer occupied, all four versions hacked away at the drake's underbelly with its own lost teeth. The dragon-kin howled in pain, losing control and crashing into a massive tree, knocking it to splinters as the plant-woman reformed into a single entity behind it.

"You aren't done yet, are you?!"

The large drake quickly recovered and turned for another assault, roaring as it closed the distance between itself and Triage with terrifying speed.

"No?! Good!"

When their own draconic opponent emerged from the forest and charged at her and Orb, Quartz was well-prepared with a nocked arrow.

Knowing how fast the things were, she waited until the last possible moment before releasing her massive projectile into her opponent's gaping, screaming maw. The creature's momentum was thus redirected just enough that it narrowly missed both Quartz and Orb, hitting the ground behind them instead.

Quartz turned and readied another arrow as Orb moved her inquisitive gaze away from the concurrent combat happening between Entropy and the remaining drakes. As her Caregiver Mode's energy blasts had not been as effective as she would have liked during her and Entropy's previous encounter with the things, she decided to suggest an alternative plan of action to the fleukondthim.

"These creatures appear to have some kind of weakness towards ice, Quartz."

Quartz carefully watched the drake quickly regain its feet and begin another charge, seemingly unfazed by the previous attack despite its utilization of an expected soft spot. "A useful observation for future encounters, Orb, but I would require almost an hour to reconfigure my bow to cover my arrows in a sheath of ice."

"Perhaps." Orb was already in the middle of transforming into her Mentor Mode via tendrils reaching into her rucksack. "But I don't." The newly teenager-sized Companion suddenly reached out and grasped Quartz' bow just below the sand-woman's own hand. "The magical components can easily be reconfigured, if, like me, you know how."

As the drake closed the distance, Quartz' nocked arrow instantly formed a thick sheath of ice. The dragon-kin saw this and acted a bit more cleverly this time, bobbing and weaving as it approached, but Quartz quickly recognized the simple patten and managed to shoot her newest arrow straight into the thing's chest when it came close enough.

As Orb had determined by watching Entropy's fight, ice was a weakness. The arrow pierced the drake's heart, and its lifeless body slammed into the ground in front of the Companion and Quartz. The marble-girl triumphantly pulled her hand away from the bow and placed her hands on her hips in an exaggerated victory pose. "You're welcome!"

Quartz wasted no time in pulling another arrow from her quiver. "We do not have the luxury of celebrating at the moment, Orb. Triage may still be in danger." She glanced upward at the roof of The Filter for a moment. "I feel confident that our new friends will follow if they deem it necessary, but time is of the essence if any of us are to render meaningful assistance."

Orb's form slumped a bit in disappointment at this observation, but she was aware enough of what was required of her to throw an arm backwards into her rucksack to drain away enough marbles from her body to transform into her Friend Mode. "Oh, okay, I guess. Race you there!"

The newly small, newly speedy, and newly exuberant Companion bolted into the thick growth of the forest, and Quartz gracefully took to the air to follow her with as much speed as she could muster.
Gaius
Resident

Post by Gaius » Sun May 08, 2016 6:51 am

((So... Much... Rust. x__x Still no good at keeping things short, either... Thank you both for the ridiculous displays of patience))

Especially when you know the mental calculations behind them weigh the option of devouring you, there's something mesmerizing about a draconic beast's eyes. Once in its awareness, Devon found it hard to focus on much else. It gave him cause to rethink a few of his life choices. But only for a few seconds. An airborne succubus with a blade of ice weaving around the monstrous reptile had a way of grabbing attention. His eyes widened as she dodged its counter-attack and then clipped its wing, grounding it. The former human had seen she was good, but he hadn't thought anybody could knock one out of the fight just like that.

Devon and Entropy engaged in their respective tactical retreats as the surviving monster (mercifully) went back to forgetting about him. Not that he relaxed, of course. To the sound of his hoofsteps clomping along the Filter's roof for distance, his tensions simply shifted from the immediate concerns of personal safety to the helpless concerns of a spectator. He didn't realize he'd been holding his breath until she'd blinded the thing.

At that point, Devon felt his attention pulled away. Even with all the chaos around, his ears clearly made out the downed creature trying to scrabble up onto the roof. There was a fresh thrill of panic, but he steadied himself. Perhaps a repeat performance of throwing himself in front of it seemed less daunting. Breathing in deep, Devon started walking toward the edge the drake was climbing.

'Okay. It's not fair that you've got to do this, but. Well, here we are.' He tried something more constructive. 'So. Game plan... Oh. Taking out the eyes worked pretty well for Entropy.' The sounds of an aerial glacier and a chilling screech underscored his point. 'Um. Yeah. So... Just... stomp. Warp on, stomp, warp off. Yeah. Yeah! That doesn't sound half-bad!' He wasn't far from the edge and neither was the drake. Devon took a deep breath and steeled himself. 'Okay, you got this. On the count of three, go. ... A-Actually, three seems a little short...' Re: steeling, practice makes perfect. 'Five. Five is good. So.' A scaly claw emerged over the edge; he flinched, but did not bolt. 'Ah! One. Two. Thr--'

And then a ground-based iceberg speared the drake. The icy spire curved violently back toward the ground, monster in tow. It left quite a lovely arc to glisten in the sun. Even with the beast undergoing its death spasms at the far side. Devon couldn't do much other than gawk, jaw hanging open. He decided five was his new lucky number.

It took him a few beats to notice Entropy had landed and started talking to him. "Uh. HAWW?" That snapped him out of it. "I mean! I-I'm fine! And, er, you mean it? Th-Thanks." A pink blush shone through his face fuzz as he returned the bit of a smile. "I'm glad I could help. At least, y'know, a little." Devon added a nervous chuckle. And then, adrenaline needing to go somewhere, words began pouring from his mouth.

"Still, you're nice, but I bet you didn't really need it. That stuff was just so... I mean... Look!" He gestured emphatically with his hooves at the waste she had lain to those monsters. "That was amazing! I've seen crazy stuff since I got here. Lots of it. But I didn't even think that kinda beatdown could happen! You pulled that ice blade outta nowhere and took the first one down just like that! And then you blew through a fireball--" Devon's unusually excited chatter continued to blossom into its final form: giving a play-by-play like he did with Saturday morning superhero cartoons when he was 8. The resemblance was pitch-perfect, right down to bouncing a bit all throughout, albeit with some obvious differences, such as the tasseled tail swishing away behind him.

This went on for a little while, until something jarred him out of it. "--barely looked it in the eyes, and then AWWff it--!" That bray-based dose of self-consciousness delivered, Devon cleared his throat and finished lamely. "Er... went. Uh... Sorry, I don't usually get so... babble-y. Are, uh, you alright? I mean, you're looking fine." Beat. "Uh. I mean. You look okay, not pretty." Beat. "Uh! I mean! You are pretty! Really pretty! That just wasn't... my... Uh..."

Devon wanted a new topic. Red-faced by now, he decided to check on Quartz and Orb's drake. And thereby discovered its new hobby: being dead. 'Oh. I guess that's what all those sounds were about. Note to self: do not fanboy all over someone with a fight right behind you. Actually: do not fanboy.' The donkey followed the sounds of movement and saw the wome-- er, woman of sand and girl of marbles disappearing under the trees. Specifically, in the direction of some crashing sounds. His course of action was clear. "S-So! That last one looked pretty big, right?" A hoof gestured in its direction. "L-Let's go make sure we're four-for-four on dragon-slaying. Okay? Okay!"

And then Devon gave himself a headache by warping further than his little spell could comfortably manage. But the important thing was that the awkward conversation was over. Over forever. "Ungh..." Bringing a hoof to his temple, he headed under the denser foliage after Quartz, Orb, and the nearby throwdown between Triage and the grand drake. '... I'm an idiot.'
Luxon Cobrat
Oldie

Post by Luxon Cobrat » Wed May 11, 2016 8:19 am

((Not much to add but a reaction post here. Feels like Lanadyr should have the lead on the next stage of progression.))

Entropy was relieved once Devon said he was okay. She started to acknowledge it, but Devon had more. Before she knew it, Entropy was listening to an excited recounting of her daring exploits. She wasn't sure how to react to this, but it did make her feel more than a little pleased with herself. Of course, Devon stumbled at the end, becoming self-conscious. First he said she looked fine, which, given the context, Entropy took as intended. Then Devon told her that she looked okay, not pretty, at which Entropy's wings sagged as she wondered how to take that. Then he clarified that she was pretty.

By now, Entropy was staring blankly, trying to process that roller coaster while simultaneously trying to decide on a reply. She once again just about spoke up, when Devon changed the subject to the last drake.

He did have a point there. Just as Entropy went to survey the ground, Devon beat a hasty retreat by teleportation. The succubus had a feeling she would need to smooth things over after this was all done with. She also found herself thinking the donkey look was... rather unique.

Snapping herself out of it, she flew down towards where Devon was now. Though, she did veer off to the side a bit so it didn't look like she was following him.

On ahead awaited the last and biggest of the dragonkin. Focusing, she prepared to join the rest of her allies in dealing with it.
Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Sat May 14, 2016 4:19 pm

The child-sized, super-speedy Orb arrived on the scene first, just in time to draw the massive dragon-kin's attentions away from the death blow that it was about to deliver to the severely injured, barely-moving plant-woman kneeling upon the ground. The Companion began to run circles around the drake, hurling both rocks and somewhat-sensical insults in equal measure.

"Hey, buttface! Leave my friend alone! Why don't you pick on someone your own size, like your mom?! Or is she luggage already?! You smell like a wet dog's collar! I've seen buffalos with better wings!"

The drake began to chase after and swat at the swiftly-moving Orb with both of its front claws, but the Companion (barely) kept out of reach. Although her rock-throwing wasn't actually hurting the creature, it was distracting it and buying Triage just enough time to regain her feet.

The split-thorn's vision was, at that moment, filled with urgent-seeming diagnostic information that, even after ten years' worth of intermittent combat damage causing it to appear, she still couldn't make much sense of. She ignored the data feed, along with the pain she felt with each movement, and charged once again at the dragon-kin, a wicked smile quickly reappearing on her features as she rejoined battle.

When she saw her friend Quartz appear above the tree line, however, her plan changed in mid-stride, and the plant-woman, utilizing her existing momentum, jumped and landed on the top of her opponent's snout. Triage then grabbed the front of the snout and flipped herself downwards, seemingly into the gaping maw of the beast, while still holding onto the upper lip.

As expected, upon approach, the drake opened its mouth further and tried to bite into Triage, but the plant-woman's grip allowed her to angle her tough, semi-metallic body into an upright position that prevented the monster from re-closing it again. As the split-thorn spent the absolute last of her strength to hold the mouth open, Quartz responded by precisely launching an ice-covered arrow into the exposed roof of the dragon-kin's mouth, easily avoiding her friend Triage's body as she did so.

The icy arrow blasted through the roof of the mouth and exited through one of the eyes of the beast, and its sudden, pain-filled thrashing motions launched Triage free of its maw. Quartz responded by catching Triage in mid-air, and the two of them gracefully landed upon the ground, away from the drake's throes of agony, as quickly as the fleukondthim could manage.

The sand-woman knelt upon the ground, rapidly and gently laying Triage's broken frame before her. "You're severely injured."

The blue light had completely faded from the split-thorn's eyes over the preceding few airborne moments, and even the sparks that had been flying from her body were becoming more and more infrequent occurrences as she spoke. "You...you figure that out all...all by yourself...Quartz? Doesn't...matter...everyone...dies...had...fun..."

"You'll not die this day if I have any influence in the matter." Quartz quickly placed her bow upon the ground before her and began to rip out wires and circuitry with two of her hands. With her other two hands, she used these same removed pieces to perform whatever repairs she could upon the plant-woman's cybernetic parts. She would have preferred to get Triage back to The Filter, but the fleukondthim doubted that the split-thorn could have survived even that modest journey in her current state.

As Quartz performed her makeshift repairs upon her dying friend, Orb began to run towards them, transforming into her Caregiver Mode as she did so. "Guys! Don't look now, but that ugly thing's not finished with us yet!"

The extensively-injured-but-not-quite-dead drake suddenly and wildly hurled itself at the grouping of the three of them. Orb responded by throwing up her hands, producing a protective shield around them while Quartz worked.

As soon as she was certain that she and the other two were safe, at least for the moment, the Companion turned to face the sand-woman. "Will she be okay?"

Quartz continued to work, her frantic pace losing none of its gracefulness as she spoke through her mechanical glove. "I need to remove her to The Filter as soon as possible. I have more tools there, more spare parts. I can use them to stop the cascading failures currently flooding her cybernetics."

Orb quickly turned back to face the drake thrashing against her barrier with an anguished bloodlust and a speed that remained formidable despite its injuries. "Quartz, unless the others come to finish off our friend here, we're completely pinned down."

Quartz' actions continued apace, though her mechanized voice conveyed a hint of desperation. "Then Triage might not survive."
Gaius
Resident

Post by Gaius » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:45 am

((I imagine this is getting old. >_< Sorry again to the both of you for the wait.))

It didn't take long before Devon gave up and settled onto all-fours. It brought the usual cocktail of increased comfort and conflicted-feelings-about-increased-comfort, but his headache lost some of its edge. Less mental strain without balancing on two hooves and all that. 'Phew... Well, here goes nothing.' Trepidation mixed with resolution, he started toward the conflict with the drake.

When the fight came into view, he stopped in his tracks with a gasp. With preposterous speed for something its size, that monster kept up its attack on Orb's barrier. Every time those claws screeched against it, Devon flinched, concerned this assault might shatter it like glass. With no protection, he was glad to be on the thing's blind side. Then again, the drake was relentless, as though there was nothing else in the world. Why was obvious: the thing had been brutalized. The gaping, lightly frosted holes in its upper jaw and eye socket told the tale of what had set that last roar to ringing in the donkey's ears.

'What the hell am I supposed to do to that!?' His heart was pounding enough just watching it. The thought of actually doing something against it really set him shaking. 'Seriously, who am I kidding? I should just get out of--' Then his eyes found where Triage lay dying. He didn't know her physiology any better than her body language, but all that exposed wiring said plenty. Factor in Quartz's intensity working on her and...

A long moment passed. Devon took a breath and sighed. '... Heh. Well, I was dumb enough to get this close. May as well be dumb enough to do something useful.'

That reluctantly settled, the donkey focused. 'Okay. So -- again -- how...?' Then one of the beast's more savage assaults gave Devon a clear look at the rest of its face. And its sole remaining eye. Devon's half-cooked plan from earlier bubbled back up. He gulped. 'Okay... Could have really used a practice round, but...' Had he been clearer-headed, he might have remembered that there was a reason for his practice round's cancellation, that she was still around, and that she might represent a less egregiously stupid option. But alas, he wasn't and didn't.

Trembling with every step, Devon drew as close as he dared. He shuffled his hooves so his back faced the draconic horror, always craning his neck to keep an eye on it. He needed a clear view. A few seconds made clear that wasn't happening. Not on its own. He'd have to make an opening himself. He'd have to get its attention. He gulped anew

"Hey." His voice cracked a little. He drew a breath and tried again.

"Hey!" Better, but not enough to pierce its bloodlust. Stamping a hoof and flicking his tail in irritation, Devon drew a much deeper breath. There wasn't much on his mind beyond being as loud as he could.

"HEE-HAWW!" Well. Not exactly aiming for that sound, but hey. Piercing and abrasive, it was the best tool for the job.

Before the humiliation death spiral set in, the drake snapped its head toward the sound. It tilted its neck to get a decent look with its remaining eye. Devon flinched as he met its gaze, but he held it as long as he needed. He took a breath. A sense of surety fell over him. 'Now!'

With a gust of wind, the drake's view of the donkey on the ground became a view of the donkey's denim-clad backside from a foot or so away. Its threat assessment of "Least concern," became "BWUH!?" It staggered back a meter.

The fey-touched, too, was surprised. Sure, getting there was the plan, but Devon didn't think it would happen. He couldn't remember nailing such a target with such precision. And so easily... 'I wonder if-- No.' He shook his head. Protip: when your "plan" is "daisy-chain several miracles together," don't gawk when one actually works!' Despite the spell-born headache, he gathered his bearings.

Which he dropped on noting that the giant thing narrowing at him was an eye. The drake roared in fury. He screamed with a less assertive emotion. It jerked its head and his hooves slid a few inches. 'No! Focus!' Devon grit his teeth. The drake put its claws in motion. 'Plant your hooves...' Devon dug in his heels, stopping his slide. Scaled, living, and coated in ichor though it was, the drake's snout was ground enough for him. The monster's claws lurched to strike. '... and kick!'

A flash of hooves hurtling toward it was the last thing the eye ever saw.

Everyone else saw the eye explode. And not just the eye: the bony ridge of its socket practically caved in. The rest of the monster's head held, but rocked back from the haymaker. It was all Devon could do to hang tight. The beast went eerily silent, save for its heavy stagger to the rear. And then, with a last deafening screech, the drake began to fall back. '... Oh...'

Devon knew his little trick of keeping hooves stubbornly locked wouldn't play nice with a hard landing. So began his desperate search for a landing space. Which would have been easier without the moving target, throbbing headache, ear-splitting shrieks, and recent bath in liquid eww. 'C'mon, c'mon, three-for-three...' With a gulp, he picked a spot and went for it, vanishing into a breeze.

This landing was less than graceful. Devon reappeared a few feet from the ground and then fell the distance at an angle with some speed. He remembered a controlled roll he'd been taught years ago, but his new body shape and the angled fall were having none of it. He tumbled awkwardly, side-over-side, and landed in a heap, a few feet from his target: Orb's barrier. Moments later, the thud of the beast's fall rang out at his back, kicking up a wave of dust.

With a groan, Devon lay there a few seconds. He was winded. He was battered. And his head was trying to rip itself in half. Yet the grand drake was silent, still, and blind on its back.

Not bad for a donkey. Devon even managed a strained chuckle.

Which died when the drake stirred. With a great roar, it lifted itself back up, moving slowly. If it had been furious before, now it was fury. Even with the breath knocked out of the donkey, the adrenaline kept pumping. Devon tried to get to his feet. The new world of pain he found in one leg put a stop to that. He screamed, then squeezed his eyes shut and grimaced. Sprained or broken, that leg was no use to him.

Between that new fire and the rest, he had few options. Trying to teleport would put him under. He couldn't even roll over to see the thing. Not that he needed to. Just as well he couldn't focus: his ears painted a very frightening picture. Each labored, snuffling breath... Each fierce cry... Each lumbering step... He'd hurt it, but not enough. From what Triage alone had done, it might not survive its injuries. But a little longer and it was sure to survive Devon.
Luxon Cobrat
Oldie

Post by Luxon Cobrat » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:46 pm

Entropy arrived right behind Devon, bringing up his rear. She could have charged in headlong and arrived sooner, but she wanted to make sure no harm came to the equine biped.

Orb's other friends seemed to have done a number on the largest drake already. But they appeared to have gotten the worst of it. Triage was critically injured, and the rest were pinned behind Orb's barrier, with the drake savagely attacking it.

Out of experienced habit, Entropy sized up the situation and initiated the response she deemed appropriate. The drake was focused on the object of its rage. Entropy didn't know how long the barrier would hold, but she could reasonably hope it would be long enough. The succubus, therefore, began to conjure the same massive ice attack that had felled the other drakes.

But Devon also had a plan. Entropy didn't realize Devon was taking action until he caught the drake's attention with a loud bray, then teleported to kick the dragon-kin in the eye. The damage was clear, but the chill of fear fell over Entropy as Devon's failed escape left him on the ground, unmoving. Though blinded completely now, the drake still scrambled towards its new object of fury.

Knowing she had to shift gears immediately, Entropy quickly cannibalized her spell matrix and reformed it ad-hoc into a less powerful ice lance, which hurtled through the air and slashed another gash through the scales on the dragon-kin's back. Luckily, this was enough to warrant the drake's attention, and it now turned and snapped in Entropy's direction. Its jaws found nothing to clamp down on, but its sense of smell picked Entropy up, and it bounded for her.

But despite the fury that drove it on, the creature's injuries still counted for something. Its vision was gone, and muscles destroyed beyond use slowed it down. Entropy flew backward through the air and continued pelting the drake with smaller bolts of ice, taunting it along until it was drawn safely away from Devon and the others.

And then Entropy suddenly reversed momentum and launched forward. The drake snapped at her again, but Entropy shot into it with a flying kick that smashed squarely into the creature's nose, stopping it on the spot and sending a harsh jolt back through its body, breaking some more bones along the way.

From there, Entropy arced up into the air, two spikes of ice forming over her forearms. She darted in at the creature, slashing into its flesh with the spikes, then flitting away again. Once the drake recovered from its daze, it tried to lash at her, but Entropy was too fast to catch, and the mounting damage continued to slow the drake down.

Eventually, Entropy tore through the hamstrings on one hind leg, and that appendage sprawled out uselessly on the ground. At that point, it was probably a certainty that the creature would bleed to death, but it still posed a threat.

After a few more strikes, Entropy hamstringed the second leg, and the drake was all but immobilized. Entropy next disabled the two front legs in due course.

With that, Entropy rose into the air and thrust her arms down towards the drake. The ice spikes shattered and flew, followed by a stream of more icy shards, down to bite into the creature's neck, eventually tearing open its jugular. The final drake gave up its breath moments later.

Entropy drifted back quietly towards the others. The grueling nature of the execution that had turned into left her feeling a bit somber. If the drakes had been intelligent beings that knew what it was to give battle, she would have celebrated the victory. But they were just simple beasts that had attacked on instinct - whether for the hunt or to protect their territory, she didn't know. True, she and her allies had merely defended themselves, and she felt no guilt in that, but all the same, the affair struck her as a misfortune rather than a victory.

At least it was over. But the danger hadn't entirely passed. Triage had been injured badly, and... Devon!

Knowing that Triage was being attended to, Entropy rushed to check on Devon. She didn't think he had been hit in the battle, but he had been injured, and Entropy didn't know how badly.

"Devon!" Entropy called out loud once she was closer, concern edging her voice more than expected. She landed heavily beside him. "Are you okay?"