News: ~January 24th 2019~ - (Old News)
The board has undergone an update. Everything should be fine now but if you see something broken, please make a post in Away to let me know. We also have a new chat, check it out!

RP News: ~November 19th 2015~ (Old RP News)
There is no current plot. The forests welcome new travelers within these lands.
Event Status: Not Active (each accepted character allowed to RP in multiple RP threads)

RP Season: Summer
This means everything is green, flowers are everywhere, and the shining sun creates a need for shady shelter on the warmest days.

Diving In (Triage / Open)

The mountains come to abrupt end at these cliffs, rock towering over the sea, looking like they'll topple into the water at any moment. The cliffs are covered in sharp edges and peaks, though many caves of different sizes can be found all over the place as well. Just be careful when standing on top: the wind blows fiercely and doesn't care whether you have wings or not.

Moderator: forgerofsouls

Lanadyr
Resident

Diving In (Triage / Open)

Post by Lanadyr » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:47 am

From a distance, the activity probably looked horrifying. Until one watched for a while longer, then it might have begun to look faintly ridiculous.

A green-shading-to-black humanoid thing climbed up out of the sea. She made her way up the cliff face, using an enhanced strength, some minor shapeshifting, and the barbs covering her body as natural pitons to make the journey quickly and efficiently. She found a suitably protruding edge in the cliff face (never the same one twice) and visually estimated whether or not she could jump far enough to hit the water as opposed to the jagged rocks immediately below. She unceremoniously launched herself into the air and into the water, forming herself into a face-first swan dive while airborne if she was at all able. After splashing down, she then did the whole thing again. And again. And again.

Triage was enjoying the living daylights out of herself.

Since hearing about these cliffs from Gaeva, the plant-woman had made it a point to come visit them exactly for this type of thrill-seeking. The freefalls were even more incredible than she had imagined, and she had spent the entire morning in a continuous cycle of climbing up and plummeting down.

The sun was now high in the sky. Triage was finally beginning to dry out from repeated exposures to the salty sea water.

I suppose I’d better pack this in soon. I’ll just make one more dive. Maybe two. Maybe three…
nightwolf714
Oldie

Re: Diving In (Triage / Open)

Post by nightwolf714 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:07 am

OOC: Eventually, I'm gonna make Lep have happier, not quite so uncomfortable inducing posts. XD Gosh, I need a happy-go-lucky character.

Hidden from the brilliant summer sun, tiny small notches were formed in the jagged sides of the leaning cliffs. Inside one of those hidden pockets, a small grey creature slept. Unfortunately it's sleep was not in peace. Here a wing shivered. There a leg kicked. It was clear that the tiny animal was caught in some type of terror which gripped her mind and held her captive. Fearful images plagued her mind unseen by those around her. They slowly intensified, causing a shiver to run through her body.

Thrack!

"Eep!" the small voice cried, stirring from it's slumber. Small grey chest heaved up and down for a moment as the bat took in it's surroundings. Understanding crept through her. She was in a cave. This was not the forest clearing she was just in a moment ago. That forest clearing was not real. She had been dreaming. She is awake now. Breathing slowed to a more tolerable pace. "It was just a dream," she said to herself calmly. A dream made up of memories that were distorted into a horror, but a dream nonetheless.

Thrack!

The strange sound that woke her up sounded again. By this point Lepidus-Malus was fully awake and curious. She knew her temporary lair was on the edge of a wall of jagged rocks. It was difficult for most creatures to scale it's form, being the exact reason Lep had traveled her to sleep after having found herself exploring the area for much too long the previous night. The cliff was slick at the bottom due to the salt water, smoothed by erosion of slapping waves. Higher up the cliffs were sharp and pointed. A gentle breeze became a fierce force once you got too high up. And a pile of rocks formed a base to act as teeth for those who were up not to the challenge the cliffs delivered. Very creatures seemed to reside here, except for a few bats like the one whose form she took now and some birds, creatures who could find the small havens the rock wall provided.

Clearly, though, something beyond birds and bats was visiting the area then. Curious despite her instinct otherwise, the bat crept towards the edge of the wall. It appeared her first impression of the maker of such noises was partly correct. Before her blue and red eyes was a mass of greens clinging to the wall. For a moment, she wondered how it got there. It was too large for the wind to have simply drifted up and leave caught along the edges of stone. Her answer soon came as a vine like appendage shot forward to grip the stone a little higher up, pulling the mass behind it. So this was a creature with some level of consciousness. Knowing that, she recognized the form as vaguely that of the two leggers she had glanced on briefly during her travels.

For a moment, the bat simply watched the creature proceed to climb the wall, listening to the damp thacks it's arm and leg like vines made against the wall. The midday sun shone on her, difficult on the eyes but Lepidus was use to using her bat form in the daylight hours. Still, she was glad for the shadows she had. The leafy like creature stopped then along an edge that leaned out farther than most. Then Lep saw as it hoisted it's earthly mass into the air and downwards to the rocks and water below. Strange mismatched eyes locked onto the greeny form, watching the creature's seemly suicide. It was a strange thing to see with strange emotions. Part of her wanted to cry out. The dominant part, however, watched the story unfold with a numbness of the mind. After watching one death play out again before her eyes in her dream, this milder scene did not hurt nearly as much.

As well it shouldn't have. Within a short period of time, one that Lep didn't realize had her eyes locked onto the swirling waters below, a leafy appendage shot out of the water onto the rocks nearby. Once again, the strangely humanoid mass of earth began making it's way up the cliff wall. It was a very curious thing to see. More intrigued than numb now, she unwisely decided to inspect further. The grey creature leaped from the cave, diving downwards to get a better look at the flora like fauna. She was new to the cliffs and was curious as to rather this creature spent it's life with a strange instinct or if there was more to it than that. And, a hesitant part of her mind added, to find out if this posed any sort of threat to her.
Was there only one world after all, which spent its time dreaming of others?
~Philip Pullman, "The Subtle King"

***Warning, I do 3 12-hour nights a week, so may have mini hiatus if they're in a row***
Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:56 am

Triage hummed tunelessly to herself as she climbed out of the water after her latest jump, shook a bit of water out of her leafy ears, and made her way up the cliff face yet again. After a small amount of time, she had ascended to a narrow ridge and looked about for an easy pathway to go further upward. Triage didn’t really need an easy path, but she didn’t feel much like straining herself during her mini-vacation, either.

It was as she looked about this ridge that she caught sight of a bat above her, cautiously eyeing her from a safe distance away in what appeared to be a holding pattern in the sky. Triage tried not to fix her disturbing, glowing blue eyes on the bat for more than a few moments, but she did look just long enough to confirm that she saw what she thought she saw in passing.

Ah. Intelligence. When you’ve seen as many forms of it as I have, you recognize how it lights up the eyes, even multicolored ones like those, no matter what form it takes. This creature might be someone that I can get to know better, which would be a nice way to finish off the afternoon. I’d better not push my luck in trying to make friends just yet, though, what with their apparent skittishness and my aura of unpleasantness and all. If and when they want to be social, then we’ll be social, but not before.

Triage waved to the bat in as friendly and inviting a manner as she could manage, to indicate that she was no threat. The split-thorn then turned away, found her pathway up the cliff face, and began her ascent once again, eagerly anticipating another dive and, perhaps, a later encounter with a curious bat.
nightwolf714
Oldie

Post by nightwolf714 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:18 am

The small creature watched as the living mass of flora climbed the ridge before stopping. Strange glowing circles of bright blue turned to her. They were almost hypnotic to the sensitive bat eyes. Bright, soft yet intense at the same time. She wanted to turn away yet was drawn to them at the same time. They took her off guard as Lep did not expect the plant like being to contain such orbs.

It took a moment for Lep to register that the other being had waved and then turned away to continue it's ascent up the jagged wall. As though to clear her thoughts she shook her small head and moved positions slightly to get another view of the being. It was clearly intelligent. It had registered that it was being watched and reacted in a way that didn't like to be purely from instinct. It also did not seem to be necessarily dangerous, at least in it's non-provoked state (which Lep had every intention of keeping it in). As such, a bit of her old curiosity streak crept to the forefront of her mind. In her travels Lep had never heard of a plant being like this before. She had seen moving plants, but that was quite different. This being seemed to be able to think and decide things instead of simply acting. It was curious of a plant. Though slightly discerning considering they were her main choice of meal.

"Do you always do this? Climbing and jumping, I mean?"

As soon as they were out of her mouth, Lep nearly squeaked in surprise. She had not meant to vocalize her thoughts. It was a foolish move, as was coming out to observe it was. She blamed the lack of sleep from the previous night for her ill mannered actions. Still, the words were out and unable to recall. Nothing to do but see what happened next. That, and reposition to fly off very quickly in case one of those vines reached out in her direction.

***Warning, I do 3 12-hour nights a week, so may have mini hiatus if they're in a row***
Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:30 am

“Do you always do this?”

Triage, halfway up a rather forgiving, handhold- and foothold-covered rock face, stopped climbing immediately upon hearing the words.

“Climbing and jumping, I mean?”

The plant-woman slowly and calmly turned her head to face her side, towards both the water and the bat that was hovering nearby. The bat that had just spoken in what appeared to be a feminine voice.

”No…”

Oh, c’mon, Triage. This bat’s trying to strike up a conversation with you. You can do better than a one-word answer.

”…I, uh, I don’t always do this. I’m just, you know, doing something fun. Diving. I like diving. I’ve got the built-in equipment for it and everything, same as every other member of my species.” Triage reached out with one of her arms and turned it a bit to make one of her fin-like appendages more apparent.

”I can’t do this all of the time, though. I don’t know if you can tell or not, but all of the salt water I’m jumping into is starting to dry me out. Usually, I’m just wandering around the main areas of the forest, doing…”

Triage thought a moment as she slowly brought her extended arm back to the rock face. ”Well, truth be told, I’m not doing much of anything these days. And I’m kind of having a hard time getting used to it. I mean…I suppose I’m not very good at relaxing, y’know?” She suddenly smiled widely. ”Oh! But I am running a little shop with my friend Quartz in some of my copious spare time! If you ever need a hot drink or a cold chunk of metal, stop on by!”

The split-thorn maintained her smile, perhaps a bit less widely, as she continued to speak. ”So…my name’s Triage. What’s yours?”
nightwolf714
Oldie

Post by nightwolf714 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:36 am

Words came from the plant like creature's head. Despite asking the initial question, it was surprising to hear a response given. Just as Lep had not expected to vocalize her musings, she had not expected the creature to be able to speak. Once it did, it seemed silly to question it as it indeed had a mouth. It also seemed to be less of an "it" and more of a she or so it seemed. At least the question of intelligence was answered.

Small grey feet cling to a nearby ledge as wings grew tired of her attempts at hovering. As of now, this plant female seemed to be giving off little in the way of predatory intentions. For the moment it would seem that Lep could relax a little and trust her. Or at least examine her and her curious behavior and now words. Not all of it made a lot of sense to Lep. Things like built in equipment and shops and the like. Hot drink wasn't a foreign idea, though, and she mentally bookmarked the thought to consider at a later date. It was always useful to know where food and drink could be found at. It was more useful to know of a location where others would gather.

The bat did not answer the question at first. Despite the relaxed attitude of this ... Triage individual it couldn't be helped but to be somewhat guarded. Then again some react hostilely when they are approached suspiciously. In this situation it may be safer to be courteous. At least until shown need to be otherwise.

"I'm known as Lepidus-Malus of the Pax herd."

Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:38 pm

”Well, it’s a pleasure to meet you, Lepidus-Malus. Or would you prefer to be called simply Lepidus? Or maybe just Malus? Lep? Mal? Every naming convention is different, and I’d like to at least attempt to respect yours.”

Triage had quickly gotten used to the idea of not diving into the water below again that day. It’s not as if either Triage or the cliffs were going anywhere, after all. Instead, the plant-woman continued to grip the rough holds in the surface of the cliff face upon which she was currently hanging (given her strength and stamina, she could probably hang there all day, if need be) and try to make friends with the bat that was now perched relatively near to her.

”So, what with the lack of additional talking bats around here, I’m going to assume that the rest of your herd isn’t around, which probably means that you’re a non-native to this forest, same as me. If I may ask, where are you from? Personally, I’m coming off of a decade-long errand of mercy spanning countless dimensions, so a description of where I’m ‘from’ gets sort of complicated. If you really want me to get into the entire story, I suppose I can tell it. Honestly, though, I’m more curious about things to do now that I’m here…”

Triage tilted her head a bit. ”Say, what do you do for fun around here?”
nightwolf714
Oldie

Post by nightwolf714 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:09 am

Apparently engaging the flora creature into conversation was a bad idea as it clearly expressed the ability to communicate. Lep was nearly lost in the flood of words, many of which expressed ideas that were alien to her. It was all she could do to silently listen. Mentally, she thanked her foresight in already gripping the leaning cliff as hovering at this time would have proven difficult. Curiosity and anxiety grew in approximately equal measures inside her. In the end, she decided that more knowledge in this case was a good thing which seemed to complacent the conflicting forces inside of her well enough.

"I... do not have a preference. Typically, I am just Lepidus-Malus. I guess ... Lep, then?" Somehow even something as simple as a name had become complicated. The Pax herd typically had long names, so she was fairly use to them. The idea of a shortened name was new, but not a bad one. The rest of what Triage said, though, was so strange that it was difficult to form a strong opinion on either way.

"No. They live quite a long ways away from here." A small stab of loneliness struck her. It seems despite her abandonment of the herd there was still a part of her that considered herself among their number. For a brief moment she wondered if that would go away of if she meant to return at some point in the future. To be truthful she hadn't really given the idea much thought beyond the initial running away.

As it was, focus quickly changed from that point as the plant creature had given segway to another topic. One she was more comfortable with, even it was still difficult to answer. "I honestly am not sure. I haven't been here too very long myself. I've been mostly wondering through the forests and such, exploring the area."

The bat moved her eyes to look down the cliff's wall to the swirling waters below before returning her glaze back to Triage with a slightly confused look. "I take it the diving is...fun, then?"

Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:30 am

Triage flashed a broad grin. ”Well, I get a lot out of it, but that’s because I’m what my friend Quartz would affectionately call an ‘adrenaline junkie’, which means I tend to seek out thrills exactly like this one.” Should I explain what adrenaline is? Nah, this girl gets a look on her face like she’s about ready to fly away every time I approach anything even remotely resembling jargon. ”Of course, I’m a lot tougher than I look, too, which is the reason I can survive so many of these falls into the water. If I wasn’t so durable, I’d probably find this whole affair much less…entertaining.”

Triage let go of the rock face with one of her hands and leaned back a bit, allowing the loose arm to dangle slightly behind her as she continued to easily hold on with the other one. “You know, Lep, Quartz flies, too, and she sometimes takes me along for the ride. Based on those experiences, I would think that flying would be fun in and of itself, so you just exploring the forest all by your lonesome, at your own pace, doesn’t sound like a bad way to pass the time. Of course, you’ve probably been doing it your whole life, haven’t you? Flying, I mean. Maybe that would tarnish the sheen on any activity.” The plant-woman suddenly waved her vine-eyebrows playfully. ”Well, almost any activity.”

A thought suddenly occurred to the split-thorn. ”Wait a second. You’re a bat. It’s daytime. Why are you…” The second thought in the series landed with much more impact, and Triage’s glowing eyes widened in response. ”Oh, no! I woke you up with my antics out here, didn’t I? I’m sorry. Would you like me to leave this area so you can get back to sleep?”
nightwolf714
Oldie

Post by nightwolf714 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:36 am

While the word "adrenaline" was strange to her, she understood the concept. There were a couple of unicorns in her old herd that fit that description according to the stories she had heard when her parents were her age. Young stallions who would wander into areas known to have lone wolves to chase off, young mares who would attempt jumps just barely in their ability to conquer. Her mind went to a time when she was still a young filly playing with her brother and their friend. A loud noise had came which frightened them, causing them to scatter back to the herd. She remembered how terrified she felt but at the same time, how exciting the whole thing was. And how her curious nature caused similar experiences after that. A small smile formed on the bat's face as she nodded. "I can understand that. Flying is similar. It often times causes me to feel a rush."

Triage continued, mentioning a friend Lep did not know. She was about to ask about this "Quartz" when Triage made mention of the time of day. Her expression changed as did her tone, suddenly very apologetic. It took Lep a moment to understand the confusion, before realizing that as far as Triage knew, she was a bat and had always been one. It then took another moment for Lep to consider correcting her or not. Seeing as how Triage had not been aggressive so far, it seemed safe. Plus, this plant girl could be a good ally and it would help for her to recognize her in normal appearance as well.

So in response, Lep gave a soft, high pitched chuckle. "No no, it's all right. I needed to get up anyways. I'm normally up earlier than this, but I lost track of time last night. I'm not really a bat. It was just convenient since I thought these cliffs would make for a good den. Unfortunately, it's not quite up to my tastes. The nooks are too cramped." Her muscles having been reminded of such, she stretched out her wings one at a time to loosen the muscles before wrapping herself up in the membranes folds.

"Who is this Quartz? She must be very large to take you flying. It takes a lot to even get this small form in the air."

Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:19 am

Triage shrugged. ”I wouldn’t call Quartz…very large. I mean, I’ve met very large creatures, and she’s not that. She’s definitely above average for the inhabitants of this forest, a little over twice as tall as me, but we’ve passed through enough places where she was normal-sized and I was the really short one, relatively speaking, that I don’t really think about it all that much.” A contemplative pause. “I guess I talk about her a lot, but she probably talks about me a lot, too. She’s been my constant companion for the past ten years. It’s hard not to talk about someone like that, y’know? It’d be like me not talking about one of my arms or something.”

”So…” The plant-woman looked Lep over a bit before continuing. ”…if you’re not really a bat, then, if I may ask, what the heck are you? Not that I’m feeling deceived, exactly. I mean, you can be whatever you want to be. Quartz herself is a shapeshifter, so I’m sort of used to sentient beings not being what they appear to be. But I am newly curious as to who, exactly, I’ve been talking to.”

Triage looked downward, at the ground far below her, for a moment, then turned back to Lep. ”If you’d like to transform into something larger, I’m sure we can both get to a surface more substantial than that little ledge you’re on. Personally, I’d recommend that I jump into the water one last time, you fly down to the shore, and we meet up down there, but I’m open to suggestions.”
nightwolf714
Oldie

Post by nightwolf714 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:41 pm

OOC: *One month later*

Ahhh, sorry for such a long hiatus there. ;n; And sorry, I writing out weirdly detailed shifting scenes is kinda fun. ^_^;;;

IC:

"Umm, yeah, I suppose so..." was the bat's fairly short reply to the plants--- To Triage's relatively long comment about Quartz. Triage's comments felt like a small needle pricking the sensitive part of the bottom of her foot; a small sting that seemed to hurt a lot more than it should. It had been ages since she had felt like that about someone. Or even talked about someone. Or even talked to someone, until relatively recently.

Her attention snapped into focus though as Quartz changed the subject. At once Lep was on heightened alert. Why did it matter what she was really? Why did this plant creature want to know? It took a moment for the initial knee jerk reaction to fade away. It didn't seem like it would mean much if Triage knew her real form. There wasn't much danger in it. And besides, Lep had already shared some information. While Triage seemed strange, and quite talkative, she didn't seem to pose much of a danger.

"Besides, if she tries anything, I'll just eat her," she said to herself with a slight grin on her muzzle betraying the silly thought.

At the suggestion, Lep nodded. "That should do well. I suppose I'll meet you over there then."

Without waiting for a response, the small bat let go of the ledge and made it's descent towards the shoreline. Along the way, she began transforming. While the number of forms she had was fairly limited, she was able to become very accustomed to each form's unique shape. This allowed her some control over it's contortion as her body features changed from one creature to the next. In this case, her head changed first. Her nose widened, her muzzle becoming longer with more pronounced mouth and lips. Teeth shifted into a pearly wall as jawline became more defined. A small bump appeared on her forehead. From the bump bone erupted, shooting outward with a shine of silver. Hairs along her neck lengthened into a long mane.

The next to change was her tail. Webbing shrank into her skin as the small bat tail slimmed. Hairs bust forth to tumble behind her. Her body grew larger, the weight pulling her downwards faster causing her newly formed mane and tail to flow behind her. Her wings held their place, allowing her to glide instead of fall. Back legs were stretched, muscles giving new definition and power. Toes came together and became encased in silver.

It was only with those new hooves touched the watery edge of the shore did the front legs change. Lep held her reared up position as her legs shift to rest beneath her body. Webbing disappeared as her fingers came together and became capped in a hoof. As her body landed the last change occurred. Her body lightened, become white as stripes erupted and enveloped her new figure. Soon the bat was completely replaced by that of a short but stocky unicorn. She snorted, tossing her head, before turning to the water. "Changing always takes a moment to adjust," she explained to the unstated question.

Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:46 pm

As soon as Lep pushed herself away from the ledge to make her descent, Triage quickly placed her own feet against the nearest suitably-angled flat surface, crouched for the briefest of moments using one still-gripping arm for a final instant of support, and let go with her hand while launching herself into the air nearly sideways using her strong legs.

As she fell, and as she pondered the ground below that seemed far more prominent than the water in her projected trajectory, Triage immediately had regrets that she didn’t take a moment or two more to prepare or maybe even climb a little higher. After all, it’s not as if she and Lep were in a race or something.

Uh-oh. This might hurt. Good thing I’m tough…

Fortunately, the plant-woman was over the water and had even cleared the rocks near the shore, albeit barely, by the time she arrived at sea level. The splash she made was prodigious. As was the thrill that she experienced from the brief scare.

Always good to end things on a high note, at least.

She didn’t delay herself in the water, tempting as it was to savor this latest plant-equivalent of an adrenaline rush. After all, someone was waiting for her. Triage quickly swam toward the shore and stood on the silty sand beneath the waves as soon as such an act was capable of getting her head above the water level.

When she stood, her gaze immediately fell upon an attractive (at least if one were into smoothness and symmetry, which wasn’t exactly Triage’s “cup of coffee” viscerally, but she could appreciate it abstractly), zebra-striped, silver-hoofed unicorn. The plant-woman only just stopped herself from asking the stranger’s name as she finished making her way onto dry land. Oh, right, This is obviously Lep. When that girl shapeshifts, she doesn’t fool around!

As soon as Triage arrived upon the proper shore, Lep spoke. “Changing always takes a moment to adjust.

Triage shrugged. ”Don’t hurry yourself on my account. I’ve got all day. And then some.” She sighed. ”I suppose I’ll get used to the slower pace of this forest eventually.” The plant-woman shook her head. ”But enough of that. I hope you don’t mind my saying so, but this new form of yours is quite striking. Beautiful, even, at least in a conventional way. Thank you for showing it to me.”

Triage looked out over the water. “While you’re getting yourself to feel comfortable in your own skin again, would you like me to hunt us down some food? It wouldn’t be that hard for me to dive back into the water and snag a fish or two. Basically, I just swim through a school of them and let the pointy things I’m covered in do the rest. And there’s enough driftwood around here to get a nice fire going, assuming you like your seafood cooked.”

The plant-woman then turned back to Lep and waved her eyebrows playfully. ”Or maybe you’d just like to swap gossip about this forest? Personally, I had a difficult time reading Gaeva, the guardian of this place, the only time I encountered her, and would like to learn whatever anyone else might know about her before attempting a second meeting.”
nightwolf714
Oldie

Post by nightwolf714 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:30 pm

The splash made sounded impressive, the light spray that touched the unicorn's legs as she touched down onto the shoreline further spoke of it's magnitude. It was almost a shame that it was missed. By the time Lep had turned her now elongated muzzle to face Triage the plant being was already out of the water and fast approaching her. If it weren't for the unicorn adjusting to the new flood of more familiar instincts and thoughts of her normal form a small hint of a smirk would have been on her maw. As it was, nothing in Lep's expression shown that she had acknowledged Triage's less than graceful descent.

Lep was about to respond about how she had already adjusted at this time when she caught the tail end of Triage's words. "Striking?" That wasn't a term she had described as. She was seen as a young and, dear she admit it, almost silly foal. To be fair, though, she had left the old herd at the cusp of adulthood. Since that time she had not really met another other than another mare upon arriving in this strange land. There were more things in that time to concentrate on as a young mare without a herd. Not once had she stopped to reflect upon the fact that she had fully grown into her body to be a young lady.

Ears flicked as she stared at Triage for a moment. As it was, Triage was her normal self and continue the conversation along. It would seem that having met a more talkative acquaintance had its benefits as it seemed to result in slightly less awkward incidents. Or slightly more. Or both. Probably both.

"There is no need to trouble yourself with food. This form doesn't handle fish all too well, you see. As a unicorn I mostly eat graaa--ah, various nonliving things that grow." That was almost a very troubling statement. While being a herbivore primarily wasn't something that was typically looked down on, she wasn't sure that a living plant would feel the same way. "And if needed, I can hunt later if such things are sparse," she added with a flick of her tail.

"Or maybe you’d just like to swap gossip about this forest? Personally, I had a difficult time reading Gaeva, the guardian of this place, the only time I encountered her, and would like to learn whatever anyone else might know about her before attempting a second meeting."

Gaeva ... now that was an interesting mare. Her own experience with the self proclaimed guardian was short with little in the way of small talk. She was just as much of a mystery was Lep was most likely to her. They shared a mutual understanding and respect toward each other's silence. "Gaeva seems like an ... interesting mare. To be honest, I know little about her. I know enough to know to keep from getting onto her bad side but she didn't seem particularly talkative when I met her." To be fair, neither was Lep. She had just escaped the cold grasp of the misty lands and nearly collapsed in exhaustion by the time the lavender mare appeared. Perhaps this would be a chance to learn more about her. More about this potential rival or at least a strong player in this new land.

Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:11 pm

Triage nodded slightly. “Yeah, Gaeva was tight-lipped with me and Quartz as well. I suppose there’s no point in speculating about her, what with there being so little information to go off of…” She shook her head. “Things like this were so much easier when I was adventuring across multiple universes. Enigmatic individuals came into my life back then, sure, but I was never around long enough for it to be much of an issue. Now, I’ve got to stay on the good side of my new home’s protector, and I don’t even know what the hell her ‘good side’ is. All things considered, leaving her alone is the closest thing I have to a plan of action right now, and that's neither an action nor a plan!“

“And, speaking of staying on good sides…” The plant-woman smiled. “I appreciate your diplomacy in describing your eating habits, but it’s not necessary. Plants might have rich inner lives that I and certain other individuals can perceive, but inner lives don’t always mean self-awareness. Run-of-the-mill herbivores aren’t doing anything wrong by simply keeping themselves alive.” A wink. “Just promise me you won’t eat any plants that try to strike up semi-intelligent conversations, like yours truly.”

Triage began to twist and shake various parts of her vine-body to remove bits of excess moisture originating from her latest dive, being careful not to flick any water on her new acquaintance. “So, Lep, you mentioned earlier that you’re rather new to this forest yourself. Where are you from originally? Another forest like this one?” Could this entire planet be a wasteland dotted with peaceful oases?