News: ~January 24th 2019~ - (Old News)
The board has undergone an update. Everything should be fine now but if you see something broken, please make a post in Away to let me know. We also have a new chat, check it out!

RP News: ~November 19th 2015~ (Old RP News)
There is no current plot. The forests welcome new travelers within these lands.
Event Status: Not Active (each accepted character allowed to RP in multiple RP threads)

RP Season: Summer
This means everything is green, flowers are everywhere, and the shining sun creates a need for shady shelter on the warmest days.

Beach Party! [Open]

Protected by the mountains on one side, and the sea on the other side, this makes for a perfect place to relax and unwind, maybe build a sand castle or go swimming. Unless of course you remember you're also trapped by the mountains on one side, and the sea on the other, with no way to run except straight into the mist...

Moderator: forgerofsouls

Lanadyr
Resident

Beach Party! [Open]

Post by Lanadyr » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:38 am

Sometimes, an idea takes on a life of its own. Although Quartz, Triage, Orb, and Recluse had discussed the idea abstractly before, they suddenly, and quite unexpectedly, found themselves actually doing it.

Word quickly spread throughout the Forest. There was going to be a party at the Beach, and everyone was invited!

Early that morning, Orb docked the Sold Separately as close to Sniper's Nest as possible. After the anchor was dropped, the Companion immediately began to teach her invisible crew how to sing something besides sea shanties.

As soon as the Sold Separately was docked, Quartz, who had been waiting on the shore, quickly took to the air and ran a thick wire consisting of multiple types of metal alloys back and forth between various points upon the main deck of the ship and the top of the perfumery, creating a low-lying, decorative metallic framework. She then tied this framework to a powerful makeshift battery behind Sniper's Nest. The sand-woman finished by briefly completing the circuit to ensure that the different metals each glowed brightly in a different color, then promptly disengaging the battery to save its charge, and the correlated lighting, for when the sun set.

Shortly after the framework was completed, both Triage and Recluse appeared on the Beach from two different directions. Recluse was weighed down with saddlebags filled with various foodstuffs freshly gathered from throughout the Forest, and Triage was carrying two large wooden barrels, equipped with crude internal heating coils and spigots on the sides, filled with coffee. They each dropped off their loads at Sniper's Nest, next to a clean drinking water basin collected by Recluse the night before and a large collection of drinking gourds provided by Triage, and quickly departed.

For the rest of the morning, Quartz carefully decorated the wire framework and the ground underneath with large flower arrangements created by Triage the evening before. She finished this decorating at about the same time Orb felt that her crew was prepared to provide an appropriately festive musical accompaniment. The sand-woman and marble-girl then joined forces and spent the early afternoon hauling tables, benches and chairs out of the Sold Separately and onto the Beach, underneath Quartz' newly-decorated wires.

Quartz and Orb had just finished this operation when Triage and Recluse both reappeared, each once again weighed down with loads very similar to the ones that they had brought earlier that day. The four reunited creatures quickly set up the furniture and spread out the gathered food casually across all of the tables.

Their preparations completed, and the hottest parts of the afternoon behind them, Triage poured herself a cup of coffee from one of her heated barrels as Recluse scooped a cup of water from his basin. They toasted to the four's collective efforts as Orb joyfully called out to her crew to begin singing something fun.

The party was underway!
Keltres
Resident

Re: Beach Party! [Open]

Post by Keltres » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:58 pm

(OoC) Sorry about the long silence. Christmas is stressful for the reclusive ;) (OoC)

Squinting against the harsh sunlight, the Cadno Galysyel approached the beach party with an outward calm that concealed a deep unease over the unfamiliar gathering, even at having been invited at all. Even an unease over the time of day, a time when Diurnal creatures had the advantage. Careful consideration had gone into the decision of whether to go at all, and into preparations, thoroughly rinsing the dust of travel from fur and clothes, and combing the visible patches of fur into neat, disciplined ranks.

In another, such fine grooming may have brought out beauty and elegance, but in this case, it only served to harshen the discord between conflicting fur colours, with neat grey sleeves an extra incongruity. A deliberate effect, often employed to test new and uncertain acquaintances, and Galysyels paused in full sunlight at the edge of the gathering to take advantage of it, studying each reaction in detail with eldritch eyes. Judging, and letting everyone know they were being judged.

“Greetings, My Enemies, and friends of My Enemies. I doubt you expected me to come, and truly I wouldn't expect myself.”

Patiently, Galysyel settled cross-legged on the sand, a single black-furred sentinel summoned by a subtle shrug of the shoulders to stretch out on either side with jaws resting on their masters knee, dark eyes shifting malevolently, sometimes hopefully, on each potential threat.

“Yet, having been invited, it would have been disrespectful to avoid such a gathering, or not to bring food with me.”

The hands spread a blanket on the sand, covered with a wide selection of insects and small reptiles, and not quite out of range of the lethal jaws resting on either knee. Selecting a large scorpion to crunch on idly in accompaniment, Galysyel continued.

“My craft...”
krnch
“... knows the importance of...”
krshck
“... respecting one's enemies, so...”
shkonch
“... I am here.
For longer than either of us remember, our kind has feuded against the Wulven tribes. Where lesser races died out through confict or hardship, they endured through strength, bravery, and a fierce loyalty to each other. It's a rare specimen of my kind that stand against them in open battle, always we needed superior numbers to prevail against them, or else relied on deceit and trickery, and if neither of us are kind in our victories, with so much malice between us, I think they have at least been less cruel.“

“Rhylcowyl was the strongest of their Sorceror Priests, an embodiment of their goddess blessed with the ability to weave moonlight into strength and power, and when she grew into the full extent of her power they rallied under her leadership. She led her forces well, and even when they weakened found the resolve to keep on opposing us. When she marshalled the tribes in her final stand, inspiring the courage to fight despite the near certainty of defeat, her form glowed in the night with the splendour of a full moon, and I don't think I've seen anything more beatiful or greaceful, besides my Sibling of course. A strong fighter made stronger by her sorcery, it took both my best beloved together to fell her, and when her light faded the night was darker and more spiteful for the loss, moreso through knowing my kind had made it way.”

Falling silent briefly, Galysyel watched over the audience with deliberate care, then sighed softly and reached for another handful of crunchy insects to share between the pair of dire foxes companions before continuing.

“She was the last with any real power, you know, and her death is one more thing they can't forgive us for, if any among them still count. I would hear what you respect in your enemies. Expect me to believe you have none, and I will know that you do not respect me.”
Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:33 pm

Orb was happily chasing a flock of low-flying seagulls on the beach, using her Friend Mode's enhanced speed, when she first saw the patchy fox thing and their two companions approaching in the distance. Without breaking her stride, she yelled back to the others still underneath the sort-of-nearby metallic canopy. "Incoming!"

Quartz' bow was peaceably secured upon her back, so the fleukondthim made do with the sensors of her mechanical glove alone. After a few moments of examining the new arrival from a distance, she used her intuitive sign language to communicate with her best friend. I believe this is the bipedal fox that you've previously encountered, Triage.

"Oh, wow, really?" Triage spoke from between handfuls of unshelled walnuts as she walked, with Recluse vaguely in tow, to be closer to the sand-woman. The plant-woman squinted in the direction of their newly approaching guest for a moment, then spoke again. "Yep, it's Galysyel. I'd know that pelt anywhere, even from this far away. Strange. I thought they didn't much care for anyone that had anything to do with magic, and that would include everyone hosting this little shindig."

Recluse finished his latest bite of breadfruit before responding. "We didn't ask our guests to like us, only to enjoy themselves. And I know well that you understand how enjoyable antagonism can be."

The split-thorn smiled widely at Recluse in mute response, bits of walnut shell still stuck between the hard and sharp bits of plant matter within her mouth that served as her teeth.

As soon as Galysyel spread the blanket upon the ground, Triage flashed a second large grin at the mechanicorn. "See, Recluse? I knew you should have grabbed some bugs during your foraging expeditions!" Accepting the Cadno's implied invitation, Triage eagerly grabbed a centipede as big as her forearm and bit off its head, plopping herself upon the ground cross-legged, directly across from Galysyel, as she did so.

As the fox told the tale of enemies past, Quartz joined Triage in sitting upon the ground around the blanket, giving their guest her undivided attention. Recluse, though listening as well, continued to move about, grazing upon the plentiful non-insect and non-reptile items on the tables around them.

When Galysyel asked after what the three hosts then present respected in their enemies, Quartz was the first to respond, using the speakers on her glove just in case her sign language would not be to the storytelling fox's liking. "As Triage and I have accumulated dozens of enemies across multiple disparate dimensions, our responses would most likely depend upon each individual enemy."

"Well, some of them are easier than others." Triage lazily popped a cockroach into her mouth and spoke around it as she continued. "For instance, you know that one warlord that wanted to forcibly marry you? We can at least respect his taste in women, right? And I always had a soft spot for all of our opponents that were at least as strong and as tough as me physically. And as for our collective enemy Galysyel here..." she bit into a twitching, half-dead horsefly before continuing, "...I think we can respect the choice in foodstuffs. Or at least I can."

Recluse walked a bit closer, discarding an empty melon rind as he did so, before speaking directly to Galysyel. "During our first encounter, I alluded to my respect for your active intellect and the unique perspective that it supports. I now respect your courage as well, for freely entering what must seem to be the proverbial lion's den."

Quartz followed suit. "And I respect your focus upon respect. It is not at all easy to refrain from dehumanizing adversaries..."

Orb's voice suddenly called out from far away. "Help! Quartz! The undertow's pulling me out to sea! The stupid birds knew my one weakness and led me out into the tide!"

The sand-woman immediately rose to her feet. "Oh, dear. I hope you'll excuse me." Wasting no time, Quartz took to the air and bolted towards the portion of the shallow waters from which the voice seemed to originate.

Recluse turned to Triage. "Orb doesn't breathe. Is speed truly of the essence?"

The split-thorn shrugged, popping a last leech into her mouth before continuing. "Probably not, but those two have this whole...weird...thing going on." She shook her head, then stood. "Thanks for the bugs, Galysyel. Can I grab you a cup of coffee while I pour myself one? I like my coffee like I like my ex-lovers, hot and bitter, but, if you'd prefer, I'm sure we could sweeten some up a bit with all of the potential ingredients lying around."
forgerofsouls

Post by forgerofsouls » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:09 am

"Orb! Hold on! I'm coming!" Came a shout from the trees. And than faster than the blur that followed it, something shot into the water where Orb was.

A faint glow in the area spoke of magic, the user of said magic trying to lift Orb out of the water.

The user appeared to be an elvish teen, with rainbow colored eyes. And very long hair. This girl was none other than Lyrial, whom had met Orb shortly after arriving in the forest. Though she wore clothing that one would not wear in water, it was obvious that she needed it not.

As her magic gathered about Orb she lifted her hands into the air, as if trying to lift Orb.
There are so very many dramatic ways that vast, incomprehensible galactic phenomena can kill you, that every single day that you go unmurdered by space is a miracle.

Sugar and Spice do not mix well at times! So says many of my characters after the chocolate fiasco.
Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:24 pm

Orb was making a scenery-chewing spectacle of herself, fake-coughing the water out of her non-existent lungs, as she was being magically lifted out of the water. As soon as she caught sight of who was actually doing the lifting, however, she stopped immediately, waved excitedly at her friend with one hand, and reached into her rucksack with the other hand to withdraw more marbles from it and transform herself into her Mentor Mode.

"All right! It's Lyrial! Now the party can really begin! Thanks for the save! How have you been lately?!"

Quartz finally arrived on the scene at that moment and gracefully maneuvered herself to hover alongside Orb's still-floating form. The voice emanating from her mechanical glove conveyed neither annoyance nor confusion at the recent turn of events, as could have been expected. "I am gratified to see that you're safe, Orb, and that my services are no longer required."

The newly teenager-sized Orb turned to face the sand-woman. "No, but I'm glad you're here, all the same. Quartz," she motioned to the other girl, "this is my friend Lyrial Eailiolery. She's a Worldeater, but don't let the name scare you. She might command incredible magical powers, but she's really nice, and one of the few inhabitants of the Forest that's my own age...sort of. I mean, she's about as old in eons as I am in months, and I can change apparent ages at will..."

The fleukondthim quickly nodded with understanding. "This forest has a way of marginalizing chronological age as a meaningful datum."

The Companion nodded at Quartz in return, then turned to face her rescuer. "And Lyrial," she motioned to the sand-woman hovering at her side, "this is Quartz. She's a fleukondthim, a mechanical genius, and the closest thing I have to a parent or guardian in my life. We should probably all get back to the party so I can introduce you to the others as well, not to mention show you my new boat!" Orb quickly cleared her throat after the sudden outburst of child-like exuberance. "Sorry."

Quartz made a small, formal mid-air curtsy in the Worldeater's direction as a greeting. If the sand-woman was taken aback at being referred to as Orb's makeshift parental figure for the very first time by the Companion herself, she was too graceful to let on as she spoke. "Indeed, we should be returning. Any friend of Orb's is a friend of ours, Lyrial, and you are more than welcome to join us. And I look forward to learning more from you then about how and why one apparently as powerful as yourself finds herself in the Forest."

A newly-arrived creature that looked a great deal like a hairless mummified timber wolf, after a long stretch of meandering exploration within the Forest proper and the nearby mountain range, found herself at the Beach. She caught sight of the large event space of the beach party in the distance and stopped walking. After carefully considering the situation for a moment, she decided that any opportunity to learn more about this mysterious forest was best pursued, regardless of potential dangers, and Rayboz thus began to approach the gathering in an unsteady gait.
Keltres
Resident

Post by Keltres » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:25 am

The two black fanged heads lifted in hostility from Galysyels' knees as Triage drew close, jaws snapping sharply at amy limb that strayed close, but a flick of patchwork ears and shift in stance constrained their aggression, limiting them just short of physical harm. Other than the subtle gestures, Galysyel remained outwardly indifferent to their behaviour, watching Triage and Recluse calmly. Intrigued by their approach towards respecting their enemies, and slightly alarmed at the absence of other foes from their subject matter. At the offer of coffee, the chequered head bent briefly to study the fluid, taking in the aroma and colour, then inclined politely in refusal with a melancholy half-smile.

“My thanks, but if we are to discuss absent loved ones, then I shall need something to soften the harsh edges of reality, and I don't think your coffee is well suited to that particular task.”

Rummaging in the sack, Galysyels retrieved a dull grey flask and drinking vessel, pouring out a cautious measure of golden fluid. The powerful scent of strong spirits, mixed with a hint of apples. A scent Galysyels was, it appeared, content with for the moment, inhaling deeply before setting the vessel aside untouched and addressing Triage again, in half-answer to unspoken questions.

“I can be handsome enough, under the right conditions, such as when it's too dark to see, and I'm warm.”

The eldritch eyes remained fixed on Triage a moment, challenging the Split-thorn to comment, to question the unlikely implications of such a statement, and keenly observing the Split-Thorns response to such an improbable claim. Physical beauty asides, it was hard to imagine this stern, reserved creature with a lover. Then the gaze flickered to Recluse, and the speech resumed.

“You overestimate my courage, My Enemy, a likely sort of error when speculating about an enemy you barely know. Strength is the domain of the Black Fox, and having only traces of that heritage, it's always been a quality I borrowed from others.”

Briefly, the hint of a fond smile flicked across the countenance, then faded.

“Others such as you describe your heathmate to be, who would exhaust all the strength they had protecting the rest of our kind, until they had no more to give. I was never anything so good and noble, merely one who loved them, who did my best to patch together what remained of once great spirits rent asunder by the strain of battle against creatures of sorcery stronger than any of us, and smarter than we can even imagine being. Then I sent them back, to spend whatever strength remained in them. Out here, I can't even truly claim to be that.”

The drinking vessel was retrieved for a lengthy sip, accompanied by a grimace at the harsh taste, and a deep sigh. Sensitive to such moods, the two companions nestled closer on either side, answered with a hand in the thick fur of either neck. Tired out by the memories evoked, and content in such weariness to wait for a response.
Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:06 am

[OOC: It's been a week, so I'll take a turn instead of forgerofsouls, who can jump in whenever later.]

Triage had grabbed her coffee and returned to the ground near to Galysyel as they continued to speak. Galysyel's comments regarding handsomeness sounded...suggestive to Triage, and the intensity behind the challenging gaze that followed couldn't be denied. Not having much of a poker face, the split-thorn cocked an eyebrow during the half-second the thought intruded upon her mind. Are...are they flirting with me? Nah, couldn't be. I'm just imagining things because it's been awhile.

When the Cadno finished speaking and fell into a state of quiet weariness, it was Recluse who continued the conversation, holding four bunches of grapes at the ready in his four mechanical claws as he did so. "Courage can be bestowed by the presence of allies. Such a reliance could only be considered a weakness if one considers a reliance on allies itself a weakness. My call sign notwithstanding, I know that such relationships are more appropriately considered a strength."

Triage grunted in assent and took a sip of her coffee before picking up on the thought. "I know that I don't regret my alliance, my friendship, with Quartz in the slightest. Nor with you, for that matter, Recluse. You both contribute a great deal to my life. Not necessarily courage, but that's only because horror and danger and conflict give me a rush."

Recluse had taken a bite out of one of his grape bunches, but quickly swallowed before responding. "So I've noticed, at least with respect to conflict."

Triage smirked at the dryness behind the obvious comment upon their sparring matches together. "And that's one of the things I like about you, Recluse. You make a great straight man."

"Pardon the interruption, but may I join you?"

Both Triage and Recluse turned to face the source of the new voice as that source, Rayboz, looked them over warily in return with her crystalline eyes from outside of the shade of the overhang. "I am new to this area and would appreciate a chance to get to know its inhabitants."

Triage smiled, sipped a bit of coffee, and waved the mummified wolf over to be closer to the conversation. "Well, you picked a hell of a time to walk by here, friend. We're throwing a party, and this area's inhabitants are all invited, so you can meet them all in a single swipe. I'm Triage, the patchy humanoid fox is Galysyel, and the half-unicorn half-robot thing is Recluse. I'm...actually not sure if Galysyel's big-ass friends even have names..."

Rayboz kept her wary gaze upon Recluse as she approached. "This is the first I've seen of advanced technology since arriving."

Recluse nodded in response. "It is indeed a rarity in this place, almost exclusively found when someone brings it here from outside the Forest."

"Unless my friend Quartz builds something amazing out of loose bits of scrap metal at our shop. She does that sometimes. And by 'sometimes' I mean she does that a lot. It's kind of her thing."

"Hmmm...I would like to discuss these matters with you in greater detail, Triage and Recluse, but at the moment..." Rayboz softly gazed upon Galysyel's two companions, being careful not to affix that gaze too firmly, as it might have been interpreted as a challenge. "Galysyel, do your friends have names?"
Keltres
Resident

Post by Keltres » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:09 pm

Galysyels smiled softly at Recluse's words, a tired smile with more sadness than joy, but a certain measure of peace, through accepting the nature of the world, harsh as it was.

But they can only lend that strength for as long as they are here, and when they spend their strength so generously, they aren't for long.

The reply was left unspoken, in favour of observing Triage's reaction, face creasing in a frown of disapproval at a reminder of the Split-Thorn's enthusiasm for conflict, then set aside further to scrutinise the new arrival. Another thing of sorcery, and more troublingly, one with the outward semblance of a wolf, enough to trigger the defensive instincts of the companions which had grown almost settled.

At Rayboz's approach, the two dark forms shifted from a wary guard to open hostility, sitting upright to stare down from their full height. Galysyels, by contrast, showed no outward enmity, even seemed to adopt a more relaxed stance in compensation, a deliberate shift of body language meant for the sentinels more than as reassurance of Rayboz. The Pana-wolf's question was considered at length, debating silently how much to give away, the final soft response carefully calculated.

“Sometimes they do, when I need to distinguish between them, but I doubt you could vocalise them. This is...”
The tone jumped sharply out of the forms and rhythms of civilized speech into an odd sound partway between a growl and a squeal, a sound distinct to feral foxes.
..Gryyip...
“...and I call this one..”
Gryiip.

It would take sharp hearing to discern the slight difference between the two yaps, and sharp observation to pick up the subtle shifts in stance and posture that completed the names. Yet each head raised in turn, ears flicked attentively towards Galysyel, who favoured them with a soft smile.

“A name they don't understand, drawn from a language they don't speak...Well, it never quite seemed respectful enough, for creatures trusted with the safety of a dearly beloved child. So we communicate in their language, so far as I'm capable.”

The shadowed forms shifted their gaze suddenly back to Rayboz, shifting a step forward in restless tension, and Galysyels' speech broke again into a series of sharp yaps, backed up by an urgent restraining hand on each dark neck. As they settled, Galysyels' head inclined toward Rayboz's bandaged form with a slight grin of embarassed apology. The hands remained in place, scratching the thick fur in reassurance, and ready to take a firmer hold again if needed.

“My apologies. I'm afraid one of the things I can't quite communicate effectively is that something which has the semblance of a wolf, and is unmistakeably a creature of sorcery, is not a threat to us. They're very perceptive in some ways, and they can nearly always tell when I don't believe something.
So I ask you to keep your distance, for their safety if yours is no concern, and out of respect for our hosts..”

The vulpine ears flicked in Triage's direction.

“...who intend this to be a peaceful gathering, even between enemies. Do you eat, my new enemy?”
Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:48 pm

Rayboz, as advised, took a respectful step backwards from Galysyel and their two companions as she spoke. Although she was disappointed that the two quadrupedal foxes seemed disinclined towards getting to know her, she had no desire to press upon whatever mild goodwill the presence of their bipedal charge was allowing for. With a bit of luck, after all, there were other, more social canids to be found in this mysterious place, and the fact that the three foxes before her seemed to form a cohesive unit indicated to the pana-wolf that not one of their number was in dire need of additional companionship to begin with.

"Perceptive, Galysyel. As you may have already guessed, given your description of me as a 'creature of sorcery', I am something akin to undead. For most practical purposes, I don't eat, which means I have little desire to partake of the food around us."

Triage smirked at this revelation and made a casual hand motion in the mechanicorn's direction. "No problem. More for Recluse over there. He's got a bunch of metal arms to keep powered up, which is hard to do on the Forest Diet Plan."

Recluse calmly swallowed his latest bite of food before responding to Triage's statement. "It's tactically unsound to freely discuss our limitations while in Galysyel's company. They have, after all, made their animosity towards us quite clear."

The plant-woman snorted out a friendly laugh. "Look, Recluse, it's clear from your description of your first encounter with our friend here that they know you're vulnerable to their wardings. I don't think they're going to be running around the Forest destroying every nut and berry to weaken your hardware if they can just take the direct approach."

Rayboz, for her part, quietly catalogued the mechanicorn's apparent vulnerabilities as she heard about them, then spoke to him directly. "And how did you find yourself laden with this hardware, Recluse?"

Recluse responded, but not before cooly considering the pana-wolf and her suspicious questioning for a moment. "I was directly created in my current form so that I would possess desired combat capabilities." A pause. "If I may ask in response..."

The pana-wolf had anticipated the query and quickly responded to it while it remained unspoken. "Desired exploratory capabilities. The undead and nearly so can go places others cannot."

Triage took a sip of coffee. "So, you've come to this forest to explore, then?"

Rayboz sighed. "Yes and no. It's a long story."

The plant-woman shrugged. "Well, we'd love to hear it, and a couple of our own stories are short ones, at least. Recluse and I, for instance, came here by random accidents. As for Galysyel..."

Triage allowed her words to trail off and turned to face the Cadno with a look upon her features implying that they should present their own story.
Keltres
Resident

Post by Keltres » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:38 pm

Galysyel was somewhat preoccupied in calming the two direfoxes as the other's spoke, firmly pulling them back down into a reclining posture and neatly, precisely, dividing a piece of meat between them. Even so, the head tilted with interest at the mention of weaknesses, eyes flicking to regard Recluse with a hint of mischief.

“I know some of my wards worked once, my enemy, and wasn't so foolish as to expect the same ones to work again. Did I misjudge your intelligence?”

The eerie gaze lingered a moment, then the vulpine jaw shifted in a slight grin.

“I doubt it. You have other enemies, and were you so easy to kill, one of them would surely have done it. As to how I came here, that can be a long story, or a short story, depending on how I tell it, and the perspective of the listener. Since what is a long story to me is likely vanishingly brief to creatures of sorcery such as yourself, perhaps its best I keep to a version that is short to all present. The balance of things changed, as my child grew from a cub in need of protection and guidance to a young adult requiring a time free of parents, and a lover grew tired of my company. In any case, I needed some time away from our priests, which of all my enemies I find myself unable to respect.”

Galysyel paused, staring meditatively at the potent drink held in one fractured hand, mind wandering idly through worn memories, then finished it in a single gulp and set the cup aside.

“Yes, I have a grown child. We were both very young. Too young, truly, and I could invent any number of excuses for our recklessness had I the spirit for it, but the plain fact is, we were too young to know better, being so young and all.”

The grin widened, briefly coming to close to something eerily akin to laughter, if a laughter as discordant in its components as the shifting colours of the muzzle.

“ It's the way of things, I suppose. We can only learn wisdom through suffering for foolishness, and being somewhat fond of what limited wisdom I have, I've no right to complain over how I got it.”

The cup was idly pushed in Triage's direction.

“I'm about ready to try that coffee of yours, my enemy.”
Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Tue May 17, 2016 2:13 am

Recluse remained silent at Galysyel's somewhat pointed words, if for no other reason than he had no interest in revealing to the self-proclaimed enemy before him the extent of his preparations for their next potential encounter...

...haphazard though they might have been. After all, the mechanicorn had never encountered anything like Galysyel's wards before, and had no way of accurately reproducing their effects. Developing countermeasures for an unrepeatable phenomenon was bound to be an error-prone affair at best. Working with Quartz, he had been able to implement an additional layer of bio-energetic shielding into two of his eight cybernetic arms in the hopes of keeping them up and running after being repelled by such wards, but this was a fundamentally mechanical defense to a decidedly non-mechanical threat. Would it work? Recluse found nothing pleasant in anticipating an opportunity to find out.

Rayboz, meanwhile, nodded at the conclusion of Galysyel's truncated tale of how they found themselves within the Forest. "An arrival by choice, and not by chance, then. I suppose my own journey here combines a bit of both. I was sent on a mission to sift through the countless dimensions of the whole of our reality to find a new home for the inhabitants of my doomed world." She looked around a bit before continuing. "And my random wanderings, at long last, have come to an end."

Triage, taking a sip of coffee, almost did a prototypical spit-take upon hearing this. She quickly put her cup down and looked, wide-eyed, upon the pana-wolf. "Whoa whoa whoa whoa! Are you telling us that an entire planet's worth of exiles are hot on your heels, ready to settle into this forest?!"

Rayboz lolled her head and performed a shrug-like motion that conveyed perhaps a bit more sadness than she had intended. "Truth be told, I don't know. I lost direct contact with anyone who might be inclined to follow me here some time ago."

Triage remained silent for a moment, then responded to this. "I'm...uh...I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that your kin wouldn't be welcome here. As far as I know, almost everyone is, except humans, at least as far as this forest's unicorn guardian is concerned. It's just that..."

While the plant-woman paused briefly to choose her words, Recluse interrupted. "Such an influx might indeed strain the Forest's various available resources and result in difficulties for us all. It has been my observation, however, that few worthwhile endeavors are without difficulties."

Triage sighed in response. "Yeah, I suppose you're right. If they come, we'll make it work, somehow." She then looked at Galysyel and gave them a quick wink. "Kind of like if unplanned children were on their way, eh?" She quickly picked up the Cadno's proffered cup in addition to her own, then began walking towards the main coffee reservoirs. "I'll make 'em both strong ones, Galysyel. I think we're going to need them."
Keltres
Resident

Post by Keltres » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:17 am

Galysyels' own thoughts on possible conflict were similarly wary, differing primarily in that, where Recluse worried over the unknown limits on his adversary's craft, Galysyels knew those limits too well. Foremost among them, the obstacle of making new wards, without the facility to forge metal. Less prevalent, and from necessity well concealed even from oneself, a disinclination towards unnecessary bloodshed counselled an avoidance of conflict, a goal thoughts trained to sharp discipline calculated exactly, taking careful note also of the tension between direfox and undead wolf, the continued absence of Quartz. A flick of the ears released one companion to play, rushing away along the shoreline. An apparantly incidental yap of excitement on finding something to chase communicated the Fleukondthym's location. The other direfox was laid on a knee, meekly submitting to a thorough grooming of head and neck, as Galysyels responded softly, almost meditatively, to Triage's assertion.

“Superficially, perhaps, there are some similarities, but seen in terms of the challenges they represent, there are very great differences between the two situations. A new child has no values of its own, few thoughts even. It depends on you for protection and guidance, and the challenges lie in providing both without alienating each other. If I'm not mistaken, my new enemy here speaks of grown creatures, with values that have grown with them,to mature and set in opposition to your own. Creatures with little wish to be guided, and quite inured to protecting themselves, and their values.”

Galysyels was interrupted by the return of the errant Direfox, smiling fondly as Black Fangs were bared in Jealous contention for the coveted knee, and facilitating the switch with a firm swish of the head.

“Then there's the matter of connections. However much suffering it's arrival heralded, my child was created in warmth and joy, and continues to remind me of circumstances rich in those emotions. More, of those I shared them with-in looking at him, I see my Sibling's grace and intelligence, my Hearthmate's courage, a dozen and more minor correlations with other family members, or mannerisms picked up from other acquaintances. In looking at any of you...”

The voice faded, thoughts drifting unresisted away from the present and back to fond memories. The eerie gaze settled not on any of the companions referred to, but rather on it's own chest, and the bright copper of a broach gleaming red in the evening sun. It was hard to tell whether Galysyels was still addressing them, or vocalising inner thoughts to a universe free to listen or not as it willed.

“...I see nothing. No history, no connections to any of my kind, or even to my enemies. You have no place in my world, and I belong even less to yours, and that's not a problem there's a good solution to. At best, with a lot of effort you might manage to settle on a world neither of you belong to, but much more common is that one kind comes to dominate, through strength of will if not of arms, and the weaker loses so much of themselves that they're destroyed as surely as if you had placed cold steel in their heart. Except that Cold Steel is somewhat kinder and more honest in it's efficiency at affecting such a result than such a gradual end.”

As earlier, the bleakness of Galysyels' words wasn't reflected in manner on the patchwork face, the dominant emotion serene acceptance as words gave way to silence.