News: ~January 24th 2019~ - (Old News)
The board has undergone an update. Everything should be fine now but if you see something broken, please make a post in Away to let me know. We also have a new chat, check it out!

RP News: ~November 19th 2015~ (Old RP News)
There is no current plot. The forests welcome new travelers within these lands.
Event Status: Not Active (each accepted character allowed to RP in multiple RP threads)

RP Season: Summer
This means everything is green, flowers are everywhere, and the shining sun creates a need for shady shelter on the warmest days.

Xevelos Drister

Character Index Lists can be found in here. Locked joining threads of all accepted creatures are moved inside this forum.

Moderators: forgerofsouls, The_Vizir

HybridCevan
Explorer

Xevelos Drister

Post by HybridCevan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:06 am

Name: Xevelos Drister

Species: Feline (Moku-dal)

Appearance: With an unusual coloration and physical build, he looks to be a cross between a tiger, lion, and the face of a bobcat. Golden-yellow fur adorns much of his skin, patterned sparsely with blackened stripes that, under bright light, shine with a blood-red hue. These markings also circle dark-blue eyes and the inside of his long, pointed ears, giving him an exotic, if not slightly demonic, look. The most unusual marking, visible only when uncovered, is a gray "X" on his chest, denoting where his heart is.

When he stands upright, his height is a decent 5' 5". His figure appears to be mostly average unless he flexes, as the fur does a fair job of hiding the muscle underneath. He is seen with a sword and shield, neither of which appear to be designed for each other.

Personality: He puts up a brave front and rarely looks at ease, but simply put, Xevelos is paranoid and is afraid for his life. He quickly becomes unnerved at shadows shifting, and is not quick to give his trust to anyone, considering initial friends as nothing more than "temporary allies." As such, unless he is truly asleep, almost any form of relaxation is actually an act.

Despite this untrusting nature, Xevelos understands the importance of being surrounded by others who can protect you, either by word or by sword. Should a dangerous situation arise, he will not abandon his "friends" to their fate just to save himself, but neither is he so alturistic to throw his life away for them.

Traits:
Feline Grace - Despite his somewhat muscled figure, he is surprisingly nimble. His limbs have a better range of mobility than most humanoids, and while he won't always land on his feet, he can maneuver his body to lessen the impact of falling several feet to the ground (up to 15). He can also relax parts of his body to squeeze himself through gaps 4/5ths his size in width and length comfortably, even during an adrenaline surge, allowing him to get through holes and out of the most basic of bindings.

Adaptive proficiency - No matter the weight or shape, unless there are magical restrictions to using the tools or are too large for him (taller than 7 feet), Xevelos can replace his sword and shield with any new one and use them as if they were actually his own.

Adrenaline surge - Should Xevelos encounter something that causes strong feelings of fear or puts his life in mortal danger, everything from his senses to his strength become enhanced and he enters his own version of a panic attack, responding by either fleeing or flying into a frenzy. This can allow him to do unnatural things, such as picking up and running with objects up to 350 lbs. or even dodging a crossbow bolt aimed to the chest from 4 feet away (by seeing the trigger being pulled, or hearing the lever releasing.) While this won't save him from an initial ambush, this makes it much more difficult to get him a second time or even stop him. The state can last up to a total of 3 hours or until all threats are gone by any means, at which point he cannot feel the adrenaline again for a half-hour. Once he reaches his third hour of adrenaline in a day, he will only try to flee to a much safer location before collapsing from exhaustion.

Death Curse - Xevelos fears for his life because of the "X" on his chest over his heart, and rightfully so. However, he is ignorant of just how dangerous it truly is: his heart is a prison for a dangerous power, and the birthmark is an invitation to unleash it. Should his heart be pierced by another, whether by accident or in cold-blooded murder, Xevelos will die instantly, and red smoke will rush from the wound, enveloping the killer and quickly turning them into a dark-red statue. Regardless of how his heart was pierced the area around him (ground, bodies of water, and any objects/creatures touching them) gradually all turn to a blood-red stone, affecting both living and non-living up to a radius of 1 mile. Most of the affected land can be healed/purified to its original state afterwards, but neither the spot where Xevelos died nor the aggressor's statue can be reverted.

This curse has no actual effect to Xevelos while alive, but it cannot be removed from his heart. As a result of this potent curse, those who can sense auras will detect a corrupted soul, making it very easy to mistake him as evil.

Family: Youngest sibling of four, born in a clan that more often considered the females as superior. Actual father unknown, and was considered a curse before regaining health (mentioned in history).

Known History: In a zealous clan that held an unsteady cease fire with two neighbors and ruled over many others, his mother was a successful leader and warrior that sought to unite and rule the world at any cost. It was at this time that Xevelos was born, and it was considered an ill omen to the clan: she became weak and ill, and he was born sickly, feral, and with an "X" over his heart. He quickly became known as the demon child, and although many sought to find reason that he was the cause of his mother's illness, she held enough influence that none dared to take action against him.

After several months, they both began to slowly show signs of recovery. Amazed and bewildered, the clan celebrated their leader's returning health, and she made a declaration of her own: The child was indeed a sign, and one that would lead her people into unity, peace, and prosperity. Public opinion drastically changed of the child Xevelos as he became almost a prince, a role practically unheard of in their culture, or at least to the adults. Despite not wanting to teach the boy to be a warrior, they no longer could turn him away as he grew older, and brought him into basic combat lessons.

While training, his peers often had a tendancy to aim for the "X" on his chest, some hitting harder than others. It took several sparring matches before his mother began reprimanding the students herself, but the damage was done, and Xevelos already started to fear for his life. This paranoia grew as life actually became more accomodating for him and him alone, but those he asked were genuinely ignorant of the reason why this was happening or hid it very well. Finally, he got his answers from his wife-to-be after flirting and charming her over several days: Smitten with love, she 'reassured' Xevelos that he was born with a great power that soon must be released to achieve their clan's goal of uniting the world, and although it pained her to lose him, she would make his sacrifice a wonderful and final, if not painless, memory.

With very little time to prepare, Xevelos secretly gathered supplies to run away, and then took his chance during his turn of "reverse hide-and-seek," where the others had to try and find him. With even the instructors playing the game, he claimed his satchel, stole a sword and shield, and fled into the forests surrounding his village before anyone realized what was happening.

How did your character find these lands?: On the run from members of his clan getting close to finding him, Xevelos stumbled across a wizard's abode deep in a faraway forest (but of another world) and paid him to cast a teleportation ritual that would take the feline "Anywhere but here." The hermit, not caring to warn Xevelos about the dangers of such a spell without prior knowledge of where to go, took the gold and proceeded with the ritual.

First RP in these lands:

"AAAAAHHH!!"

Xevelos had been screaming as the spell completed, seeing the door of the wizard's abode burst open and the face of his now ex-wife-to-be staring daggers at him. He had no doubt now that if she ever got her hands on him, his final memory would be more than unpleasant before the knife entered his chest. However, it was the last thing he saw between that moment and the next, when he realized he was falling towards a canopy of trees.

"AAAAAAAHHHH!!" His scream continued. Only briefly registering that there were branches aimed at him like a bed of spikes, he brought up his shield, bracing it with both arms. The first set of branches snapped easily under the weight of him and his shield, but the second set caught him, nearly causing him to smash his nose against the metal as it flipped him backwards. His attempts to stabilize himself were met with resistance, falling between the attacking branches of two trees, and even with his reflexes he knew not how to stop his fall, only succeeding to slow it.

For what felt like an eternity to the feline, Xevelos was eventually freed from the assault of both trees, but now was looking up rather than down. He was glad that the ground had some fallen leaves, his earlier tumble having given him a glance of the earth below, and mentally braced his body for impact, trying to twist himself in the air to avoid a lethal fall. A half-second later, he impacted the ground with his back first, his arms and legs stretched out and the wind knocked out of his body.

It took some time before he recovered his breath, and finally he slowly sat up. His first thought was a resounding OW! as his body complained about landing the way he did after a free-fall, not to mention he was lying on the flat of his sword, one of the straps connecting its scabbard to his belt broken free from the landing. His second one was of relief, as he discovered that he did not break his arms or back and that he did not cut himself on his own weapon, yet he was still bleeding from the branches.

Please be still in one piece! Xevelos thought in alarm, reaching to a now-damp pouch on his waist. Unsurprisingly the vial of healing salve that he kept on hand had shattered, and now he had pieces of glass littering the satchel. In addition, much to his horror, he noticed that his green shirt was now dirt-stained and practically in shreds, exposing the mark on his chest. His dark-blue pants had actually survived the ordeal somewhat, but they would have to become shorts if he didn't want to look like he fought something and lost.

"Of course I'd also lose my shirt," the feline muttered in a whining tone, groaning as he pulled off the garment. Glancing about with caution, he wondered where he was in the forest now, not yet realizing that the spell had in fact sent him to another world. The only telling information that something was wrong was the temperature, being warmer than before. He tested his legs and, finding they were more bruised than broken, limped to one of the two trees, all the while turning his shirt into makeshift bandages. He stopped his work briefly as he leaned against the tree, groaning this time in pain. "Ugh. That mage must have been thrown off by the sudden entry to his house..."

Some time later...

Though Xevelos mentally cursed his clan, he thanked them for the lessons he was taught about survival in the wild as he finished tearing off the most damaged parts of his pants. He had finished using his crudely-made bandages to cover his mark and some of the larger cuts, and once he was certain he had stopped his bleeding, he stored the remaining cloth in his glass-littered satchel and breathed a short sigh of relief, though he knew he wasn't safe just yet. "Well, at least that mage got the 'anywhere but here' part right," he reassured himself, though it was short-lived. "The question remains: where is 'here'?"

His eyes widened again as he realized another item had apparently gone missing: his map. He glanced around again for others, surprised his fall hadn't attracted any attention yet, then began a thorough search of the immediate forest grounds and the trees themselves. He didn't dare try to climb up again, already having done one too many falls, but no matter how he looked at the damage he had inadvertently caused to the two trees, he could not see the case he sought, nor the map itself.

He silently screamed as fear set in yet again, realizing that he was, in every respect, lost in an unknown forest.

"No!" Xevelos declared aloud, the fear lingering in his voice. "I didn't escape one death to fall into another!" He drew his sword and readied his shield, looked around one final time, and hid himself behind a tree away from the damaged ones. He took a deep breath, mentally counted to three, and let out a loud yell, hoping someone nearby would hear and react.

"Hellooooooooooo...! Is anyone out there?"
Lanadyr
Resident

Re: Xevelos Drister

Post by Lanadyr » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:09 pm

"Hellooooooooooo...! Is anyone out there?"

Quartz looked up from her tool bench, a functional but unattractive construction of wooden planks propped up against the outside of The Filter. The shout had immediately drawn her attention away from her morning's machinations, and she turned to face in its direction.

A few moments after this, Triage poked her own head out of the window closest to her friend. "You heard that too, right?"

The sand-woman nodded and used her sign language to respond to the plant-woman. It sounded quite close. We should use the leadbugs to attract their attention and draw them here.

The split-thorn smirked and shook her head. "Quartz, I know you're looking for any excuse that you can find to fire those things off again, but they're overkill at the moment. Let's just yell back."

Yelling? How primitive. Quartz turned back to her bench, and in a matter of seconds she rigged a few mechanical parts together into a delicate but fully functional megaphone. She gingerly picked up the device, turned it in the direction of the shout, interfaced the device with her mechanical glove, and used the glove's then-amplified mechanical voice to respond to whomever had called out. "Yes. There is a shop nearby. Follow the sound of my voice to reach it."

"Tell them we have coffee." At this, Quartz turned to face Triage in mild confusion, and Triage shrugged with a half-sheepish, half-mischievous grin in response. "They might like coffee."

Quartz shrugged back with two of her four shoulders, then turned back in the direction of the original shout. "We have coffee."
HybridCevan
Explorer

Post by HybridCevan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:02 am

A shop! Xevelos thought in wonder. A trading post, perhaps? He hesitated a bit, wondering if this was a trap of sorts, until the mechanical voice continued:

"We have coffee."

"A strange voice... and a decidedly unusual 'lure' to get there," he declared to himself. "Not a trap." Xevelos grit his teeth and, with rather heavy footsteps, began hiking in the direction towards the strange-sounding voice. He had to pass a few trees to finally see the source of where it came from, but he was certainly not prepared to see the store, or what was waiting outside. He recoiled in fear as he saw Quartz, practically diving back behind the nearest tree, before peeking out in caution to get another look. He then composed himself, stepped out, and walked towards the woman, waving with his free hand to get her attention.

"H-hello!" he called out, though not as loud as before, and cleared his throat before continuing. "Were you the one who responded to my yell? Because if you were, thank you, though I'll have to pass on the offer for coffee, as I'm already running on adrenaline."

Xevelos briefly glanced down at himself, mostly to see if the bandages over his chest were still there and secure. Satisfied, he looked up again. "I apologize for not calling back sooner, but as you can see, I took a bit of a tumble. Lost my map, too." He mentally cursed himself for revealing that, but went on. "Can you or someone else point out to me where we are? If you have a map of your own, that is."
Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:10 am

In anticipation of meeting a creature who would quite likely speak as a primary means of communication, Quartz had disengaged her glove from the makeshift megaphone almost immediately after using it, freeing up the glove's speakers for the current engagement. "I'm afraid we don't have a map of the forest here, stranger. This place has an odd habit of rearranging itself on small scales anyway, rendering overly detailed maps obsolete as soon as they are made. However, I can get my friend to show you a general overview of this area's major features."

Seemingly in response, Triage then rounded the nearest corner of The Filter, coming into view with a hollowed-out gourd of coffee in her hand. "I hope I heard you right and you said you weren't thirsty, friend, because I only brought the one for me."

The sand-woman turned to and addressed the plant-woman. "Our guest would like to know where he is, and has requested a map of the forest to facilitate this. Would you do us the honors?"

Triage cocked and eyebrow and took a sip. "Sounds fantastic. I so rarely get to do artsy stuff."

The split-thorn pointed at a patch of ground roughly equidistant between the three nearby creatures. Instantly, the plant life in this patch began to quickly overgrow itself into a fairly good approximation of a relief map of the forest in the space of only a square meter. As this growth occurred, roots reached up from the soil and placed rocks where the mountains would have been, and a border surrounding the map became barren where the beaches and Wastelands would have been. As a finishing touch, the grasses representing the waters and the mists began to sway back and forth in different manners from one another.

Triage took a few steps towards the map and began to point at various features. "Mountains. Mists. Rivers. Plains. Ocean. Generally speaking, though, this place is a sea of lush, green forest stuck in the middle of barren Wastelands." The plant-woman then looked at the stranger "Like what you see?" A considerate pause. "I hope you don't mind my saying so, but you've got something of a…dark presence about yourself, a little like my own. I'm Triage, and my tall friend here is Quartz. Have you got a name to go with that aura of danger and mystery?"
HybridCevan
Explorer

Post by HybridCevan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:18 am

Xevelos stared rather wide-eyed at the map that been grown out of the ground. He wasn't sure what had dumbstruck him the most, and he almost missed the questions that was asked during his moment of stupor.

"I... love it," Xevelos finally remarked, shaking his head and looking at the two. "Sorry, there's a number of thoughts going through my head, both from what I'm seeing and what you said. I admit, one is 'what are you,' but... *whew* where to start?"

He took a deep breath before continuing. "Well, you asked, so we start off simple: my name is Xevelos." His grip on the shield, still strapped to his arm, tightened slightly as he spoke the name aloud, after which he carefully bowed. "A pleasure to meet you, Triage and Quartz. I don't know what you mean by an 'aura of danger,' but I only just avoided death, as you can see by my bandages. Crazy hermit of a magician decided it would be funny to drop me in a forest."

He winced inwardly at the thought of hitting the ground again, and slowly began to kneel down near the map, looking it over once more before returning his gaze to Quartz and Triage. "So what is it you two do out here?" Xevelos asked, quickly changing the subject. "I envisioned this 'shop' to be a trade post and, well, a touch more populated, but there are no roads leading here. Do you actually have regular visitors?"
Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:22 pm

"Truth be told, this shop isn't really frequented by much of anybody, but that's mostly because this forest is so sparsely populated that nothing around here is frequented by much of anybody." Triage took a sip of coffee before continuing. "Almost nobody is a native of this forest, and a good number of us, Quartz and myself included, aren't even native to this universe. You know how a magic-wielding lunatic shunted you here in a fit of pique? You'd be amazed at how many of us have similar stories."

Quartz felt the need to directly clarify what Triage was implying. "Though the forest's population is sparse, there is still a need here for both a civilized place to gather over drinks and occasional mechanical repairs, and we proudly serve in these capacities."

Triage shrugged in acknowledgement. "And even if there weren't those needs, we probably still would have started something like this anyway. Or at least I would have. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying my extended vacation in this peaceful sylvan setting, but it's nice to have something low-key and low-pressure to do in my copious spare time."

"Perhaps we should explain what we're taking a vacation from, Triage, as this will also answer the question of what, exactly, we are."

"What's to tell?" Triage smirked and winked at Xevelos. "Haven't you ever met an evil humanoid plant and a giant butterfly-woman made of sand before?"

Quartz did not directly acknowledge her friend's snark as she pressed on. "Roughly ten years ago, my good-hearted friend Triage escaped from her nightmarish home dimensions. She arrived on my home planet, badly injured. I saved her life, and she in turn gave me the courage to leave behind a civilization that treated me as an outcast. For the next decade or so, the two of us traveled through more planes of existence than I can now count, opposing the forces of darkness whenever we found them. At the end of this sojourn, we ended up here, and we decided to stay."

Triage nodded and took another sip of her drink. "It really is a nice place. Just stay on the winged unicorn's good side. She's the one who's in charge around here. She lives...," the plant-woman pointed at her map, at a central area that was more overgrown than the rest, "...here, in the place with the giant trees and not much else."

Quartz, naturally curious as she was, suddenly addressed the newcomer directly. "Now that you have heard our tale, would you like to share your own story with us, Xevelos?"
HybridCevan
Explorer

Post by HybridCevan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:44 am

Xevelos remained silent as he heard the question, his gaze lowered back at the map. A grin slowly grew over his face before he responded. "So I'm truly on another world," he said mostly to himself. "Sure, my arrival may have been terrible, but that mage actually managed something more than what I asked! Let's see them follow me now!"

He briefly burst into laughter, then composed himself again. "Eheh, you have no idea how relieved I am to hear that," Xevelos declared. "Guess I could tell you my tale, as I don't really intend to go anywhere like this."

He made himself a little more comfortable on the dirt. "I'll explain a little bit," Xevelos began, "The clan I was from believed they were destined to rule the world. This wouldn't be so bad, except they were a superstitious bunch and I was the child that brought the leader, my mother, nearly to the grave with me. However, because we both recovered, I was a sign, and those lunatics decided that I must have some 'mystical power within to end all wars.'" Xevelos waved his hands in mock wonder as he said the words. "Honestly, I think even Mother was just trying to get rid of me. That said, here's the short story: the clan raised me like royalty, arranged for me to be married, and then secretly prepared to sacrifice me so they could gain this 'precious power.'"

Xevelos then gave a heavy sigh. "I had been on the run from them for almost eight years. Most would give up by then, but they found me just as the mage's ritual for my request to 'teleport me anywhere but here' finished." He briefly looked insightful as he thought about it. "Not what I intended, but worth every gold coin. However, my supplies are pretty much exhausted at this point. Had to tear up my shirt for bandages."

He suddenly got up, grunting as he did so, while concern came over his face. "A-anyways," he continued, "I guess I mean to say that I could use some work, either as a guard or even to help carry items. That way I can get started here, or at least have a temporary bed." At those words, Xevelos's expression suddenly became solemn. "I so miss having a bed..."
Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:54 pm

The two proprietors of The Filter listened intently to the stranger. Although Quartz remained still during the tale, Triage soon slid onto the ground, her legs stretched out, one of her arms extended somewhat behind her for support.

When Xevelos' words drifted away into thoughts of a bed, it was Triage who first spoke, swirling her drink a bit in her free hand as she did so. "I suppose it's possible that someone around here would have need of a bodyguard. The forest is pretty safe, but not perfectly safe. If I were you, though, I wouldn't knock myself out looking for work, unless you're like me and just need to keep busy. Not only is there no official coin, but there's also not much of anything that you can buy anyway, beds included. In fact, Quartz and I have the only actual shop around right now, and we serve the forest, as a whole, without payment. Might be nice to have an inn or something around here, though, come to think of it…"

Quartz interjected. "But we can set you up with a bed at our shop, at least for a short while, until you feel like striking out on your own."

Triage looked sideways at Quartz. "We can?"

Quartz shrugged. "Why not? You can create a soft covering on the dirt floor of The Filter with your plant life, and I can lend Xevelos my tent to use as a blanket of sorts. It's made of a thin material that would serve well in that capacity."

Triage's voice contained a slight hint of incredulity. "Uh-huh. And why would we be doing this?"

Quartz tilted her head a bit. "Because, as you just said, we serve the forest, as a whole, without payment. Our new friend here is a part of this forest now, is he not?"

Triage nodded in idle approval, turning to Xevelos with a smirk as she did so. "Fair enough. Well, how about it, Xevelos? Want to stay here for a few days while you get situated? Quartz and I don't really eat, but I'm sure we can figure something out." The split-thorn motioned her head a bit in the direction of the map that she had made. "Especially if you happen to be a vegetarian."
HybridCevan
Explorer

Post by HybridCevan » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:39 pm

Xevelos pulled away from his wishful thinking to watch the two as they began their own conversation about beds. He then realized his sword was still drawn, and although he had it held in a non-threatening manner, he decided it would be better back in its scabbard and carefully put it away. When Triage spoke to him, he listened intently, but visibly cringed when she mentioned about being a vegetarian.

"I... can eat some things," he stated, though with uncertainty in his voice. "I had to after I lost my food once. I won't go over details, but I found that I could live on fruits and berries and, when really desperate, a few vegetables. I was highly fortunate that I didn't end up eating something poisonous or found by my clan, but some 'meals' did leave me feeling sick afterwards. Made me realize that I needed proper training for survival in the wild."

He thought about what he said for a moment, then shook his head. "Anyways, to answer the question," he continued, "I could use a few nights to sleep off some of the more severe scratches from the fall, and possibly from... attempts to find out what I can eat." He then also motioned to the map and nodded. "Besides, if you can create that map so masterfully, then I imagine even just a simple bed of leaves will feel like sleeping on clouds. And if you ever feel like you need a third set of hands for a task while I'm here, let me know; I'm certainly not against trading favors, as long as it's something I can do. Otherwise I may just use the time to look around and get a feel of the land, or if there's some water nearby, possibly catch some fish." Xevelos suddenly flashed a look of worry, looking again at the map. "Well, unless that angers the 'winged unicorn' you mentioned earlier..."

"Oh, and before I forget my manners," he suddenly added, looking back at the two and doing a gracious bow with his now-empty hand, "Thank you. I'm certain you know what this means to me."
Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:05 am

Quartz bowed to Xevelos in return. "You are quite welcome."

Triage stood up, quickly gulped down the remainder of her drink, casually dropped the gourd onto the ground, and stretched a bit. "And you've already earned your keep with a good idea. I haven't been fishing in quite some time. Not to eat, of course, but the sport of it is a rather pleasant way of passing an afternoon."

The split-thorn pointed at another nearby patch of ground. Three crude fishing poles began to grow themselves out of the ground from underlying root structures for the bodies and fibrous grassy materials for the twine, each one of them sized appropriately for one of the three occupants of the immediate area.

As Triage did this, Quartz spoke to Xevelos. "The unicorn is named Gaeva, and, while she is standoffish, she doesn't seem to be truly angered by much of anything, provided that you are not a human being and that you treat the forest with the respect that it deserves. Fishing for sustenance would not violate this ethos."

The plant-woman snapped the three finished poles out of the ground, handed the largest one to Quartz, and walked to Xevelos with the other two. "I'm perhaps being presumptuous, but it looks like you could use a hot meal sooner rather than later. If you want to wait a bit before heading out, we could do that, too. But..." Triage held one of the remaining poles toward Xevelos, waiting for him to make the next move.
HybridCevan
Explorer

Post by HybridCevan » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:53 pm

Xevelos looked thoughtful as Quartz explained about the unicorn, then to Triage's question. "Gaeva... I'll have to try to remember that," Xevelos noted. "Perhaps I should pay my respects once I figure out where I want to stay in the long-term. Haven't had a place to properly call 'home' in a while."

"But to answer your question," He continued, flashing a grin towards Triage and gently accepting the fishing pole, "despite the ritual's time to cast, I actually ate recently before my landing here. I admit, it was probably only one of few things I properly prepared for, but I'll still take up that offer to fish! I could also use what you catch, but only if we don't get very many biting."

Xevelos looked the recently-grown item over with some wonder, as well as testing the strength of the line. "Impressive," he remarked with a nod. "Could probably even catch larger fish with this, but I'll leave that assessment for sailors. Shall we go?" He then eagerly took a couple of steps past Triage in a random direction before suddenly stopping, his weight visibly shifting to his left. "Ah, but I don't know the way... guess I got a little carried away." He then looked back towards Triage, now with a grimace in his expression as the adrenaline finally leaves his system. "Also seems like the pain finally caught up to me, so I might be a little slower than I was. Please, lead the way, but don't leave me behind."
Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:24 am

Neither Quartz nor Triage knew, off of the tops of their heads, where the best fishing in the immediate area was, simply because they had never bothered to learn as much. Fortunately, the surrounding trees had opinions on the matter, and a bit of asking around on the part of the plant-woman was all it took to triangulate a proper direction.

Quartz, Triage, and Xevelos arrived by foot at the target river bank in less than fifteen minutes. Along the way, Quartz had used the sensor arrays embedded in her mechanical glove and bow to locate a few soil-dwelling worms to use as bait.

Triage quickly abandoned her own pole and jumped into the river, swimming just far enough away to prevent the fish closer to Quartz and Xevelos from getting too skittish. She then went about the task of simply swimming into schools of fish with her whole body, catching some of their slower members upon the barbs that covered her frame and, because she wasn't trying too hard to do this catching, only occasionally surfacing to drop a fish or two onto the shore near her companions. She hadn't realized just how long it had been since she had taken a relaxing swim like this and was, understandably, relishing the opportunity.

Quartz, meanwhile, stayed close to Xevelos, occasionally regaling him with tales of her travels through the polyverse, but mostly enjoying the peacefulness of a lazy afternoon. Much like the split-thorn, she didn't try too strenuously to catch anything, and those fish that she did catch she threw back.
forgerofsouls

Post by forgerofsouls » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:11 am

((ooc: Character accepted! Just remember that due to the power of the curse, you'll need admin/mod permission to "activate" it. In short, you'll have to access permission to be stabbed through the heart. :P ))
There are so very many dramatic ways that vast, incomprehensible galactic phenomena can kill you, that every single day that you go unmurdered by space is a miracle.

Sugar and Spice do not mix well at times! So says many of my characters after the chocolate fiasco.
HybridCevan
Explorer

Post by HybridCevan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:48 pm

(OOC: Whoops, sorry about that. Partly convention burnout, partly my fault. Also, thanks Forgerofsouls! I expected that to be the case anyways.)

Xevelos listened intently on as much of the stories as he could possibly understand, switching his focus only when he was certain he had a bite. He only had marginally better luck than Quartz did, but threw back only the fish that were obviously too small to be a meal. He attempted to re-tell as many of his own travels, as many as he thought noteworthy.

Suddenly, he sighed rather happily and, digging the handle end of his fishing pole in the ground, lay down to look at the sky, his expression one of deep thought. "I honestly thought this day would never come," he began. "Granted, I never expected to meet two individuals quite like yourselves, but that's besides the point: For once in my life, the last thing I have to worry about is being tracked down by family. Now I just need to worry about where to live." He chuckled, glancing over at Quartz. "Again, I do appreciate you letting me reside with you two, but I imagine unless I find something I can do for you that you both can't, there really is no reason for me to live there permanently."

He looked as if he had a moment of clarity, then sat up from his relaxed position. "Come to think of it... maybe I can help if I knew what it is you sell. Or is it more of a workshop? I've picked up a few skills in a hurry Just to make ends meet in the past, though a few may be redundant to you, such as woodcutting."