News: ~January 24th 2019~ - (Old News)
The board has undergone an update. Everything should be fine now but if you see something broken, please make a post in Away to let me know. We also have a new chat, check it out!

RP News: ~November 19th 2015~ (Old RP News)
There is no current plot. The forests welcome new travelers within these lands.
Event Status: Not Active (each accepted character allowed to RP in multiple RP threads)

RP Season: Summer
This means everything is green, flowers are everywhere, and the shining sun creates a need for shady shelter on the warmest days.

Darkness encroaches(again)

Character Index Lists can be found in here. Locked joining threads of all accepted creatures are moved inside this forum.

Moderators: forgerofsouls, The_Vizir

Keltres
Resident

Darkness encroaches(again)

Post by Keltres » Sat May 09, 2015 6:23 pm

(Restart of this character's original joining thread, which I felt would be better than putting such a sharp shift in my characters circumstances into the old one.)
Name:N​/A. His kind are named exclusively by their 'nestmates', siblings from the same clutch of eggs, and his died too young to give him a name.

Species: Forest dragon/darkness elemental.

Age: Young adult. Due to the nature of his native environment and extensive travelling, lacks the ability to keep track of time in years.

Appearance: About twenty feet long plus another ten feet of prehensile, barbed tail, slender, with a slender, streamlined body resembling a squirrel.
Covered in soft pale green scales, interspersed by overlapping veins in two progressively slightly darker shades of green, reminiscent of veined marble. A fourth hue of green, gradually darker again, pools at the edges of the claws and round the eyes, with a single wispy tendril spreading back along the left ridge of the head. Short, heavily muscled limbs end in long, curved claws with jagged edges, with several similarly barbed spikes at the tip of the tail. Glistening emerald feathers, usually poorly groomed, run in a thick mane from the centre of the forehead down the length of his back and tail, and spread out in a pair of thick wings large enough to cover most of his body like a cloak-in contrast to the powerful limbs, flight muscles are so weak as to be almost invisible. Right forearm massively scarred, with three dark crystals embedded in the inner wrist. Eyes are a dark umber with deep red stains. Capable of assuming a humanoid form about nine feet tall and bipedal, but otherwise similar in its characteristics-in this form, his slender physique seems thin to the point of malnourishment.

Personality: Gentle, timid, and yet intensely curious, with a deep passion for gathering and sharing lore consantly at odds with an instinctive fear. This is particularly true with new aquaintances, which represent both fresh lore and unknown threats, but curiousity tends to be stronger. Instinctively gentle, and while not blind to the importance of protecting family from predators, thinks of this as an exclusively female role. Is in fact barely capable of violence, and largely blind to the lethal potential of his claws or magic.
Used both to being hunted and to surviving by being able to run faster than anything can chase him, and subsequently startles easily, and is hesitant to abandon the trees since he feels that the ground is unsafe. Particularly scared of bright light, and outright terrified of fire.
Has a somewhat casual attitude to physical intimacy, regarding the warmth of his wings as, like his lore, something to be shared, but has no interest in breeding, and makes no distinction between mating and breeding.

Deeply scarred by the death of his two nestmates very young and his subsequent status as an outcast, and tries to avoid the subject as much as possible.

Traits: Physically, he is very agile, and superbly adapted physically and mentally for arboreal environments, allowing to move very fast through trees largely by instinct, but by contrast somewhat clumsy on the ground, often struggling to keep his footing on a flat surface. Entirely flightless due to the weakness of his flight muscles, but compensates somewhat by a capacity to accurately jump very large distances. Despite his agility, is poorly adapted for fighting, since he has little strength except to grip trees, and his scales are soft and flexible, giving little protection.

His eyes are adapted to very low-light conditions, able to see clearly even in what humans would consider total darkness, while still able to see in normal daylight, but are very easily dazzled, and anything brighter than starlight is a source of discomfort. His native environment has also made him instinctively afraid of light, growing in the case of fire into an extreme phobia.

Has a near perfect memory, espescially where his 'lore' is concerned, able to remember and subsequently repeat any story he hears word-perfect, and has accumulated a very large quantity of such stories over his lifetime, which add up to the collective experiences of most of his species going back hundreds, in some cases thousands, of years, supplemented by any lore he can persuade anyone else to share. This includes both accounts of meetings, magical lore. He will, however, often struggle to recall the right bit of lore for a given circumstance, and the magical lore in particular suffers from being fragmentary.

As a result of the elemental part of his heritage, he has a strong affinity to black magic, which accumulates in high concentrations in his blood. The tendency of his blood to attract and absorb such magic makes him highly resistant to it, and indeed he will often soak up such energies like a sponge if they are wielded against him. This concentration of black magic also often causes an instinctive antipathy with creatures strongly aligned with fire or light, which in his case manifests through his fear of such elements but can be more vicious in others.
His own enchantments rely on extracting the magic from his blood using crystals as a focus, which absorb much of the blood in the process leaving pure water. For simple enchantments, the three crystals already set in his arm are sufficient, and for more powerful works he will draw additional blood, usually from his right forearm. Expending his blood as a spell component has obvious drawbacks.
Due to the extent of his acumulated knowledge, can theoretically utilise his magic in a wide variety of manners, but in practice he remains limited by a lack of practical experience, and only has genuine skill in a few focussed areas-
Scrying-his most skilled area of magic, he can easily conjure, and share, images both of nearby areas, or things he has preivously seen, however remote. Another being's blood can act as a focus for this ability, either to scry them, or with their assistance as a connection to places they have experience of. He also has a lot of skill both at blocking scrying spells, and overcoming barriers to his own.
Illusions-These aren't genuine illusions, but rather an extension of the enchantments he uses to share his visions when scrying, except that rather than showing a true vision
they distort the targets perceptions so they see a false image, or to induce certain emotions. Most commonly, this is used to deceive or confuse a potential threat, allowing him to escape before they figure out they're being deceived. He will, however, often fail to account for senses he isn't aware of, leading to an odd double vision, and has difficulty affecting multiple targets, since he has to enchant each individually.
Shapeshifting-Through careful study and some trial and error, he has leant to shift between his natural form and a humanoid one, but due to poor technique and a lack of affinity the transition tends to be difficult and physically painful, so unless given good reason he tends to stick to one form.

His fondness both for collecting and sharing lore often becomes an obsession that leaves him blind to dangers, either too distracted to notice a threat. In particular, he has little appreciation that lore can be dangerous in the wrong hands, where he does understand a problem, his feelings that lore should be shared still takes precedence.
Also, despite his wide experience has never quite shaken off the strict social structure of his own kind, in particular the roles of male and female within a brood, leading him to often make false assumptions about those he meets. His ability to interpret and make practical use of his lore is often similarly limited.

Family: Two deceased nestmates, has had no contact with his parents since leaving his nest at a very young age.

Known history: Long ago, a race of dragons that had hybridised with elemental spirits was driven from the light and took refuge in dark forests where the trees grew tall enough to blot out the light, dominated by black magic and shadows. Over many generations since, they gradually adapted to their new environment. Physically, their bodys adapted to an arboreal existence, and the dark magic permeating the forests soaked into their blood, gradually bonding to the elemental part of their nature and claiming them as its own.
This dragon is one of their distant descendants, born long after the point when they had forgotten they ever lived in sunlight. Due to a weakness in his bloodline, and misfortune, rather than the common brood sizes of five or more eggs, only three were laid, and he was the only one of the hatchlings strong enough to survive, with his two sisters dying very young. The lack of sisters to claim and protect a territory made him an outcast, leaving his nest very young and spending most of his subsequent life travelling between territories gathering lore. Increasingly, the study of his lore became an overriding passion, and his lore contained many accounts of strange creatures which had wandered into the forests from brighter lands. Eventually, his deep curiousity became strong enough to override even his instinctive fear of the light, and he left the forests which had been his home, keen to meet some of the races described in his lore for himself...

How did your character find these lands? Through a wandering nature, and a strong attraction to forests.

Anything else we need to know: While retaining the teeth and claws of a carnivore, this dragon is purely herbivorous and in fact subsists largely on wood, which it is capable of digesting.
His species is very heavily dimorphic both physically and mentally, with the females being substantially larger, better armoured, and fiercer in temperament. His assumptions on the roles of males and females are the result of these differences, and more than simply assuming a male/female will act a certain way, he actually defines gender based on how someone behaves.

First RP in these lands:
(Continued from Estelle's Joining thread. After some reflection, I decided a new joining thread would be better than reviving the old one, since there would be quite a sharp disconnect between my last post there and this one.)

Once again, the nameless dragon was enjoying it's movement through the trees, anxieties dissipating in the joy of a movement not quite true flight, but something close in speed and freedom. Excited also about his destination, his favourite part of the river, and the chance to share it with a new acquaintance. So much so, it took him several minutes to realise he had outpaced his companion, the newly transformed unicorn Estelle, still struggling to handle her new form, and had to hurriedly backtrack to find her form. Luckily, her bright blue fur was easy to track among the softed browns and greens of the forest.

“Estelle?”

Scuttling along and round a low-hanging branch, he let his head and neck hang downward to meet her gaze in an odd, inverted position, letting his eyes convey his apology.

“I'm sorry I left you behind like that. I didn't mean to, I'm just... used to being alone, especially when travelling. We can stop and rest, if you wish.”

Without waiting for a reply, he coilled head and neck back up, stretched casually along the top of the branch in idleness as he continued, his tone slightly detached.

“I've been considering your offer, to know me as the Lore I carry, and I'm honoured, but even that would be... too serious a trespass. Against my sisters, and through them, against me.”

He tensed in fear at the mention of his sisters, and snapped off the end of the branch he was sitting on in his jaws, crunching the solid wood vanishing between his teeth with alarming efficiency before speaking again..

“Also, too dangerous, in counting myself equal to my Lore, which I only hold because other's shared, and much of which is generations old. I've... seen what happens, elsewhere, when those responsible for Lore begin to think themselves more important than it is. It becomes an excuse to neglect it, to keep it to themselves and make demands in return for its use. Then when they die, it is lost to all, and all suffer from the lack of it. I've seen races that barely have any identity left, and do nothing well, through such neglect, and I won' be a part of it, even in a small way.”

He had grown increasingly agitated and restless as he spoke, an abhorrence that might have led to anger in another creature manifesting through his own gentle nature as fear instead, and expressed in small nervous leaps between branches, and searching glances that expected to find a threat. His tail swished slightly, and then in a series of leaps he was several trees away, settling into the fork of a massive trunk as he waited for Estelle to follow.
Athaiyel
Resident

Re: Darkness encroaches(again)

Post by Athaiyel » Mon May 18, 2015 12:35 am

(OOC. I’m sorry my writing is so sloppy today. I’m not feeling all that well thanks to my friends for getting me sick and now my mind is in a haze.)

For a moment, she lost the dragon in the canopy. She heard her name and turned towards his voice, peering ahead through the foliage. Her tufted ears perked up at rustling just overhead and she jumped when his head loomed suddenly before her.

“I'm sorry I left you behind like that. I didn't mean to, I'm just... used to being alone, especially when travelling. We can stop and rest, if you wish.”

This dragon was so at home in the trees that Estelle hadn’t heard him come back until he was nearly right above her.

“It’s alright. I’ll rest once we arrive at your river. I just need to take it slow that’s all.”

“I've been considering your offer, to know me as the Lore I carry, and I'm honoured, but even that would be... too serious a trespass. Against my sisters, and through them, against me.”

Estelle stiffly ambled forward as much as her sore muscles would allow all the while listening to Mr. Dragon.
He’s such a stubborn dragon. Fine, I’ll just call you Mr. Dragon if that’s how it’s gonna be. Take some pride in yourself. Y u so humble! Estelle thought missing the internet and all its memes and communications in this god forsaken nature dump. Oh the things she would do to get a hold of some Epsom salt to soak in. Not all of them kid friendly.

She heard the sound of wood shattering and looked back to see a branch being hastily devoured by the emerald dragon. She decided to drop the name issue right then and there. The dragon’s body language told her that he was uncomfortable or so Estelle presumed. It seemed she was getting a bit better at reading him.

“I’m sorry.” She said not quite getting why it would offend his sisters. Still, he was a sensitive one and she didn’t want to cause him any more discomfort. Estelle made sure to keep an eye on him so she wouldn’t lose him again which wasn’t too hard. He had remembered to slow down for Estelle’s sake and besides, it was fun to watch him gracefully spring from tree to tree with his tail swinging to keep his balance.

A dragon who thinks he is a squirrel. Well why not? Rocky, Chip or Dale would make good names for him as well. Nope, we’re done with that. Moving on.
Estelle tromped through the undergrowth very un-unicorn like and eager to relax in the river. Thankfully the dragon waited in the fork of a tree so she could catch up again. The verdant forest seemed to sparkle in greens and golds where shafts of sunlight splashed upon bark and old fallen leaves. And all Estelle could think about was that annoying gold halter that itched her face. The mosquitoes didn’t help either, but they did make her move faster. The halter pressed into her skin whenever the rope snagged on a root or a bush. After it snagged for the fourth time, Estelle yanked her head in annoyance and grabbed the rope in her mouth to pull it free.
Har har, I have teeth. She thought irritably. She looked up at the scrawny reptile in the canopy.

“Mr. Dragon. I have a quick favor to ask you. Is there any chance you could you get this damn halter off my face?”
Is obviously obsessed with unicorns.
Keltres
Resident

Post by Keltres » Fri May 22, 2015 11:08 pm

Perched in a tree, the dragon watched Estelle following with concern, alarmed by how much she struggled to keep up over the ground, stumbling and tangling in a way that exaggerated the vulnerability of her slender form. He found himself scanning for predators, expecting something to be hunting the unicorn. Then she stopped, and unexpectedly addressed him directly.
“Mr. Dragon, I have a quick favour to ask you. Is there any chance you could get this damn halter off my face?”
Scuttling down from the tree to alight by Estelle, he considered the problem anxiously, and without much confidence. A small and vulnerable unicorn, a thin halter tight round her neck, so thin he had to look hard to make it out, and his only tools claws that suddenly seemed very large and clumsy indeed.

“I'll try, child, but you're so small and delicate, and it's so close to your neck. I doubt I can avoid harming you.”

Trying to grip the rope, it quickly became apparent his efforts were futile-the thin material slipped from a light grasp, and a solid grasp quickly had to be abandoned as claws threatened to tear into the soft tissue of Estelle's neck-tissue a good deal softer than the tough halter. An attempt to hook one claw under the halter failed for the same reason, and he shied away, glaring at his claws in affronted frustration with their sudden inadequacy, an inadequacy suddenly representative of all the awkwardness caused by the differences in their size. He growled softly as his mind worked furiously for a solution to the puzzle, then glanced up sharply to meet Estelle's eyes with a glint of excitement as a possible solution suddenly presented itself. A way to remedy the differences in their size, to gain the dexterity to tackle the halter and, for contrary to Estelle's thoughts he wasn't entirely without pride in his lore, a chance to show off to this new acquaintance.

“I can't as I am now. But, if you're willing to be patient, I think I could in my other shape, which is smaller, and I said I would share what I know, of such lore.”

Withdrawing from Estelle, he set to assembling a loose circle of dark crystals around himself-rough, uncut gems, semi-precious at best, reciting a rough explanation as he did so.

“Much of our lore relies on shadows, that are in everything in our home, without light to burn them away, and which gather in our blood.”

Casually, with no more thought to the action than a cook might give to chopping vegetables, he sliced into his scarred arm, letting blood ooze freely onto the crystals as he turned round the circle.

“Crystalline minerals can be used to distill them further....”

His voice grew faint, distracted, and then trailled off entirely as manipulating the different
strands of enchantment drew his full attention. Completing the circle of blood and gems, he curled tight in on himself, still and silent for several minutes.

The change, when it came, was sudden and violent. The pooling blood thinned and cleared to water in the space of a second, and as quickly the dark veins in the dragon's scales blackened and spread to envelop his form. In another second, his shape imploded as if squashed in a giant fist, and dissappeared within an expanding cloud of shed feathers and scales that spread outwards with a soft whoomph.

The organic debris settled to reveal a form still coiled in the circle, wracked by gradually diminishing waves of feverish shaking, that retained the same characteristics of the dragon's larger shape-the green veined scales and thick feathers, even the claws, but on a much smaller and more humanoid frame. Humanoid, but disturbingly short of human, since any human quite so thin would be badly malnourished, and a human spine definitely did *not* bend at that particular angle. Coiled as he remained, further detail was hidden, although a familiar voice hinted that the head, at least, remained similar.

“I said I wasn't very good. It's not something we know as a race, so I had to peace it together from bits I picked up, and guess at some parts, which is *why* lore is so important.”

A hesitant arm unfurled, crumpled at the first attempt to put weight on it, and sent the dragon sprawling flat beneath his wings. The dragon's head peeked out from under the mound of feathers-embarassed, haggard with the stress of the transformation, but bright with pride.

“Give me a few minutes to recover. I... shut down my physical senses, so it wouldn't hurt, and... now I can't balance at all.”
forgerofsouls

Post by forgerofsouls » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:49 pm

((ooc: Does this character still want to join?))
There are so very many dramatic ways that vast, incomprehensible galactic phenomena can kill you, that every single day that you go unmurdered by space is a miracle.

Sugar and Spice do not mix well at times! So says many of my characters after the chocolate fiasco.
Keltres
Resident

Post by Keltres » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:41 am

Yes, please.
forgerofsouls

Post by forgerofsouls » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:26 pm

((ooc: Than character accepted))
There are so very many dramatic ways that vast, incomprehensible galactic phenomena can kill you, that every single day that you go unmurdered by space is a miracle.

Sugar and Spice do not mix well at times! So says many of my characters after the chocolate fiasco.