News: ~January 24th 2019~ - (Old News)
The board has undergone an update. Everything should be fine now but if you see something broken, please make a post in Away to let me know. We also have a new chat, check it out!

RP News: ~November 19th 2015~ (Old RP News)
There is no current plot. The forests welcome new travelers within these lands.
Event Status: Not Active (each accepted character allowed to RP in multiple RP threads)

RP Season: Summer
This means everything is green, flowers are everywhere, and the shining sun creates a need for shady shelter on the warmest days.

The Sold Separately (Orb’s Pirate Ship) [Open]

Does your character have a home, business or special spot they like to call their own? Then this is the place where you can post about it and give other characters an opportunity to come visit.

Moderator: forgerofsouls

Lanadyr
Resident

The Sold Separately (Orb’s Pirate Ship) [Open]

Post by Lanadyr » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:45 pm

The Sold Separately (Orb's Pirate Ship)

Location: The Briny Sea. Specifically, the Sold Separately plies the waters within the large bay situated between the Beach and the Brinia Islands, and can just barely reach the closest island in that archipelago.

Proprietor: Orb

Employees: While on board the Sold Separately, Orb commands a full crew, albeit of a ghostly sort. These individuals, such as they are, cannot be perceived by most normal senses, but they can speak and do perform the functions of a normal ship's crew, following Orb's commands without question.

Services: When in Friend Mode, Orb usually operates the Sold Separately while play-acting as if she were an over-the-top pirate captain. It should, of course, be noted that she knows she's just pretending and does not actually engage in unsavory activities, but she is still loathe to break character. In contrast, she treats the vessel as a much more standard pleasure craft when in her other two operating modes, and it is at these times that Orb is willing to ferry interested parties between the Beach and the Brinia Islands.

Prices: Because she has the long-term goal of fully purchasing the Sold Separately to release it from the bay to which it is currently restricted, Orb is usually unwilling to provide travel between the Beach and the Islands for free. However, she will accept almost anything of non-trivial value as a reasonable trade, and will even wait around for a short period of time (not more than twenty-four hours) to provide a return trip free of charge, if as much is desired.

Hours: Orb tends to operate the Sold Separately for several days at a time, completely wearing herself out on the experience each time so that she minimizes the number of times she is required to make the long journey to the vessel from the actual Forest. Other than this proclivity, it is fairly random whether or not the ship can be found at any given shore at any given time. It should be noted that, if Orb is not present, the ghostly crew has standing orders to throw trespassers overboard (after a single warning, of course), so attempting to commandeer the vessel without Orb's permission is not recommended.

Appearance: The Sold Separately is a large wooden galleon constructed in a style reminiscent of that which was common on 16th century Earth. The sails are black and the vessel flies Jolly Roger flags, but the ship has little in the way of actual offensive weaponry, making its threatening appearance somewhat misleading. The Sold Separately does not require an actual dock to reach the shore, as it has a sufficiently long gangplank to allow Orb and other passengers to simply walk off of the vessel directly onto land.

Threads the Sold Separately appears in (feel free to PM Lanadyr if the Sold Separately appears in a thread and it doesn't get listed here):
This one
Last edited by Lanadyr on Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lanadyr
Resident

Re: The Sold Separately (Orb’s Pirate Ship) [In Progress]

Post by Lanadyr » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:58 pm

"Hello? Helloooooooo?"

About an hour ago, Orb had been wandering along the Beach in her Friend Mode, looking for a good place to build a sand castle, when she saw a large boat in the distance. Naturally, she was curious, and she ran to the boat with as much quickness as her enhanced speed would allow. Seeing no crew and an unusually long gangplank lowered down to beach level, Orb brazenly waltzed into the mysterious vessel and proceeded to search it from top to bottom, even switching to her Mentor Mode several times to make use of its enhanced visual capabilities.

"Hey! Is anyone in here? Did you all go for a swim or something?"

The ship was in perfect shape, seemingly brand new, but there were no signs of life anywhere. Perplexed, Orb finally made her way onto the main deck, where she found a note tied to the boat's steering wheel.

Orb unceremoniously grabbed the note and began to read it out loud. "Welcome aboard the demonstration model of the Plancanjannan Brand MagiGalleon! In order to activate your demo, simply speak the phrase, 'Sail the seven salty seas in style'...” Orb paused a moment upon hearing a low hum emanate from the entire ship for just a moment, then continued, “...and the MagiGalleon will be yours to command. If you love your new MagiGalleon as much as we know you will, then you can upgrade to the full version, which releases the operating area restrictions, for only two million quiggelites, terrms and conditions apply, blah blah blah, boring grown-up stuff...” Orb quickly threw the note to her side. "Cool! I've got a boat!"

A crowd of bodiless voices suddenly spoke in unison from all around the Companion. "How can we serve you, Captain?"

Orb looked around the deck for a shocked moment, then slowly spoke to the nothing that seemingly spoke to her. "What...what the heck was that?"

The voices spoke again. "We are your crew, Captain. How can we serve you?"

Orb thought a moment. "Um...start sailing?"

"Yes, Captain."

Seemingly of their own accord, sails began to adjust themselves, anchors began to rise from the water, and steering wheels began to turn. As all of this happened, Orb's confusion dissolved completely, and she began to giggle in delight in anticipation of the adventures that lay ahead of her.
Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:32 pm

The ghostly crew followed Orb's orders to the best of their abilities, in both letter and spirit. When Orb picked a name for her new ship (one that seemed fitting, given that Orb was a toy and the boat could be considered an accessory or play set of some kind) and asked them to paint it on the side of the vessel, they did so. When she asked them to make her a pirate hat and eyepatch out of whatever materials they could find on board, they did so. When she asked them to dye the sails and flags black and paint skulls and crossbones on the latter, they did so. When she asked them to speak exclusively in over-the-top pirate accents, they did so. And when she asked them to set sail for the Brinia Islands, they did so.

When the vessel arrived at the closest island in the archipelago, Orb disembarked and built a sand castle. She then returned to her ship and ordered it to set sail for the next island so that she could continue to mark her territory. However, she didn't get very far when the ship suddenly stopped moving. The crew seemingly disappeared in an instant, and a large, semi-transparent image suddenly appeared above the deck right in front of Orb.

The creature in the image was a blue, three-eyed, chitinous thing sitting in front of a boxy computer. He spoke in a cheerful tone. "Hello, MagiGalleon user! You've just reached the edge of your demonstration model's allowed operating area. If you'd like to sail outside of this area, you can upgrade to the full version for only two million quiggelites. How does that sound?"

Orb adjusted her pirate hat. "Sounds great, but I don't have any quicky-whatevers."

The creature nodded his head and began to type at his computer. "Oh, no worries. We here at Plancanjannan Industries actively court MagiGalleon customers from worlds outside of the Heyrtefi Alliance, so we're willing to work with you to find a suitable payment plan. Basically, we'll do our best to accept anything that might be considered sufficiently rare and valuable on your world as a fair trade."

Orb quickly reached into her pocket and pulled out something fuzzy. "How about pocket lint? That's pretty rare around here, because hardly anyone has pockets!"

The creature made a high-pitched noise of equivocation. "That's…a generous offer, but…I don't think it's quite going to work for us. Does your world happen to have any fissile materials?"

Orb tilted her head a bit. "You mean like soda pop?"

The creature breathed out a noise of slight exasperation. "Fortunately, there's no need to decide on a payment method right away. When you have something of value to offer, simply sail to the edge of the operating area again, and I or another operator will be happy to assist you. In the meantime, feel free to enjoy your demonstration model for as long as you like. Have a good day!"

The image blinked out of existence as quickly as it had appeared, and Orb's crew came back into existence. The Companion shrugged. "Reverse course, ya scurvy dogs! Back to the mainland to plunder some booty!"

The crew responded. "Arrrr, Cap'n!"
Lanadyr
Resident

Post by Lanadyr » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:53 pm

"Good afternoon, Orb. This is an unexpected pleasure." Recluse, currently manning Sniper's Nest, glanced at the black-sailed and black-flagged ship that had delivered the Companion to the perfumery. "May I ask why you appear to be in command of a privateering vessel?"

Orb, currently in her Caregiver Mode (without her new pirate hat and eyepatch), sighed. "I made certain…aesthetic decisions while in Friend Mode that aren't worth changing back and forth each time I switch operating modes. But that's not what I'm here to talk about. I'm here to make known my intention of using my new ship to operate a shuttle service between the Beach and the Brinia Islands."

The mechanicorn nodded in approval. "Given that not everyone in the Forest can fly or swim, this would be a useful service to offer the local populace."

"Truth be told, Recluse, this isn't an altruistic endeavor. I'm trying to raise the money necessary to buy the ship, which will allow me to sail it outside of a small operating radius. I'm simply telling you about my plan because, as a fellow merchant on the beachfront, you can help me spread word that this service exists."

Recluse nodded once again. "Of course, Orb. I will inform my customers of your new venture, though I would ask that you also keep your own customers apprised of mine. The best of luck to you."

"Likewise...and..." Orb lowered her voice a bit and leaned in close to Recluse. "Could you make me something that will help me smell...more like a pirate? Nothing too elaborate. Just...things like rum, tobacco, and body odor?"

Recluse narrowed his eyes a bit. "I'll see what I can do."